72 front bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering how to paint my front bumper being eurethane and was concerned about the paint cracking.

is there a process for painting them to prevent cracking, personally I don’t see how you could make 2k paint flexible enough to resist cracking? Would you use plastic bumper primer over a pre stripped bumper then paint 2k as normal?
would appreciate some feedback on this one as I’m getting close to having her ready for paint this is where I’m at so far.

regards

Terry from Australia 

900DA3C1-36E5-49E5-A8A2-BB99551FEA32.jpeg

I did mine 6 months ago, used flexible primer with regular auto paint on top, so far so good but I have not driven the car much since then, only time will tell.  Being it is such an easy piece to take off, put on can't hurt give it a go as you can always re-do it later.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/flexible-primer-surfacer/39133

Last edited by a moderator:
These bumpers are rigid by comparison to modern plastic bumper covers.  If you hit it hard enough that it needs flex additive you have probably caused more damage than just the paint.  

Mine needs to be redone.  The painter used flex agent in the paint, but not in the primer. It cracked when I bolted the urethane part to the inner crash bar structure.

They will flex a lot on the upper lip near the grille, and I have seen many a circular crack from the front edge bumping into something.

kcmash

Back in the day when built Ford did add a flex agent to the paint for rubber parts. On special paint color cars, colors not in brochure, they put chrome bumpers on the 71 & 72 cars with special paint. The 1973 did not have both types of bumpers so they painted the front bumper and the two rubber filler pieces at ends of the rear bumper with Argent paint with flex agent. They did not want to have to specially mix all the odd colors. It tells on the build sheet to add Argent front bumper.
Check with you paint supplier they should know if there is a need for an additive or not.

Back