72 Grabber Blue Mach 1 build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
IMG_20140923_124918_003.jpgIMG_20140923_124647_690.jpgIMG_20140923_124839_200.jpgIMG_20140923_124819_054.jpgIMG_20141001_115039_246.jpgIMG_20141001_115056_703.jpgFinally got my 72 Mach 1 back on the ground after about 2 years on jack stands. I got the engine compartment, underside and suspension painted. I mounted the wheels and tires on just to see how they looked. Looks like I may need to lower the rear some to fill the gap between the tire and qtr. The front has 1" lowering springs with new stock rear leafs. I can't really tell how the front will sit until I get some weight on it. Now I can focus on doing the body work, my least favorite thing to do.

Looking really good! Those wheels are nice! How big are they and what size of tire are you using? The front tires looks pretty wide :)
The wheel I have mounted on the front in the picture is actually one of the rears. I don't have the front tires mounted on the wheels yet. I put them on just to see what it would look like. The wheels are US Mags Bandits, frt. 18x8, rear 18x9. Tires are Nitto extreme 285/40/18 rear and will probably go with 255/45/18 on the frt.

Haha okay, but I like it, would be nice if they could stay there :) Is it even possible to turn the wheels? What plans do you else have about the car? Are you going for a original build or?
When you turn, the tires rub the frame. My plans for the paint and body are probably closer to stock on the outside. Grabber blue with satin black, body color in the engine compartment with the underside painted body color also. I would like to tuck and narrow the bumpers closer to the body but I don't really know how to go about this yet. Any tips or ideas on this would be appreciated. Right now I have the stock 302 with a c4 I could rebuild and modify or I have a 429/c6.

IMG_20151004_122849_931.jpgIMG_20151006_134954_608.jpgIMG_20151010_150040_891.jpgI haven't been working on the body for awhile, so I thought I would get all my interior pieces out to clean and paint. Got the dash, glove box door, A pillars, rear package tray, trim pieces, door panel tops and steering column pieces.painted. I also cleaned, redyed the seat belts and bead blasted primed and painted the front bumper support assembly.

Nice looking project. I'm planning on doing my custom 71 grabber blue, love that color. I bought a brand new 72 mach1 grabber blue, grey stripes, black interior . 351 2v auto. Only thing I wasn't happy with was it didn't have the rear spoiler. Was just married and a kid on the way. Traded it in as soon as the must ii came out, needed better gas milage. Lol never got over selling that car. Ke up the good work. Those turbine wheels are a blast from the past, nice look on the new choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking project. I'm planning on doing my custom 71 grabber blue, love that color. I bought a brand new 72 mach1 grabber blue, grey stripes, black interior . 351 2v auto. Only thing I wasn't happy with was it didn't have the rear spoiler. Was just married and a kid on the way. Traded it in as soon as the must ii came out, needed better gas milage. Lol never got over selling that car. Keep up the good work. Those turbine wheels are a blast from the past, nice look on the new choose.
Thanks, I've been following your build also. You are quite talented with all the mods your doing. The grabber blue will look great on yours. I'm looking forward to when yours is complete. Ryan.

IMG_20151012_122152_258.jpgIMG_20151011_171559_100.jpg. Cleaned, bead blasted and painted shifter housing and radio bezel.

IMG_20151017_140052_976.jpgNext project clean and refurbish heater / a/c box. I got everything torn apart and cleaned. IMG_20151017_194016_791.jpg

From the photos it looks like an aftermarket hood with a good fit. What brand is the hood? Did you have to do a lot of adjusting/shimming to get the hood to fit?

From the photos it looks like an aftermarket hood with a good fit. What brand is the hood? Did you have to do a lot of adjusting/shimming to get the hood to fit?
Yes, it is an aftermarket hood. Not really sure of the manufacturer, the box didn't have a name on it. As far as the fit overall its not too bad. I did have to place shims under the fenders to make it fit a little better. It actually has less of the factory bow than the original hood on my red Mach. One thing that Scott on the forum here pointed out was that the aftermarket hoods are not spot welded on the underside like the originals. I ended up spot welding mine just to make sure nothing moves later on. You also need to seam seal the seams.

Finally got the heater/a/c box sealed and put back together. Guess I'll bag it up and put it up in the garage until I'm ready to install it. That might be awhile at the rate that I'm going. IMG_20151024_093013_055.jpg

Thanks for the info on the hood. Maybe if you could supply where you bought the hood I could determine the brand of the hood.

Thanks for the info on the hood. Maybe if you could supply where you bought the hood I could determine the brand of the hood.
I actually bought the hood from a guy at a swap meet. I got it for $300 which was a deal for me because I had no shipping costs. Sorry I can help on the manufacturer.

Wow you are doing some good work there![emoji12][emoji41] Keep those photo's coming! Regards Lars DK73

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Regards DK73
Thanks Lars! The small things are the only thing that I'm making progress on. Guess that's better than nothing .

Back