72 h code ram air hp

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cous 5

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1
I just got a 72 mach 1 with H code engine and ram air. This is my first mustang and needless to say I have a lot to learn about this car. I was wondering what the horse power is with the ram air set up? I also noticed that there are a number of vacuum hoses that are not hooked up or missing altogether. The engine seems to run fine, but with the weather here in Ohio, I was only able to take it for a short drive when I got it. Is it a common practice to not hook up certain vac lines?

I just got a 72 mach 1 with H code engine and ram air. This is my first mustang and needless to say I have a lot to learn about this car. I was wondering what the horse power is with the ram air set up? I also noticed that there are a number of vacuum hoses that are not hooked up or missing altogether. The engine seems to run fine, but with the weather here in Ohio, I was only able to take it for a short drive when I got it. Is it a common practice to not hook up certain vac lines?
Welcome!

Can you tell us or post a pic of what vacuum lines are not connected?

Do you want to return it to the factory original engine configuration?

I am not even sure you could get ram air on an H code unless it was dealer installed but greater minds than mine will weigh in shortly.

I have not seen any documented difference between HP/Torque ratings for the 1972 351 2V (H Code) Mustangs with and without the ram air.

There were some H Coded Mustangs built in 1972 with ram air.

This following link has some pretty good information as to HP and torque (and much more).

http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/72.shtml

BT

The rear PCV hose should go to the side of the air cleaner, the plastic fitting that has the filter element on the inside of the air cleaner. The other fitting on the air cleaner is for the aluminized flex hose from the fuel vapor canister. The fitting in the front is for the distributor advance hoses. It's a thermostat of sorts. When the engine gets hot, like it's idling in traffic, it moves vacuum source from carb to intake, advancing the timing and picking up the engine RPM, which moves the fan/water pump faster.

Steve

Ram air does not "officially" add any horsepower because the factory HP ratings are on a static engine/vehicle with no air flow, hence...no ram air effect.

However, most sources quote about a 5% gain overall...nothing that will make any real difference on the street in any casual "racing".

The ram air option, and indeed all of the crazy "cold air" options available on just about every "performance" car back then were mostly about showing off on the street. Shaker scoops, Coyote Dusters, Ram Air, etc...all visually designed for high impact, with minimal actual effect.

But...it sure is cool!

Ram air does not "officially" add any horsepower because the factory HP ratings are on a static engine/vehicle with no air flow, hence...no ram air effect.

However, most sources quote about a 5% gain overall...nothing that will make any real difference on the street in any casual "racing".

The ram air option, and indeed all of the crazy "cold air" options available on just about every "performance" car back then were mostly about showing off on the street. Shaker scoops, Coyote Dusters, Ram Air, etc...all visually designed for high impact, with minimal actual effect.

But...it sure is cool!
agreed!! even today K& N has made a fortune off of "marketing", no real effect, I've tested it on my own car and noted no improvement on the dyno. Maybe I just dont have the special cars they use for promo.....

You should find a vacuum diagram & connect it all up correctly. Failing that, the minimum you should do is connect the front port on the distributor to the vacuum port on the carb to give you vacuum advance at cruise which will make the engine run smoother & improve mpg.

Ram air will not work unless you fit the snorkel to the air cleaner (with correct plumbing) or block off it's aperture to stop hot underhood air from entering the air cleaner. You could rig your hood scoop flappers open all the time to have full-time ram air - which will improve power & economy slightly.

Thanks for all the info. I am really enjoying learning about these cars. Can't wait for spring!!!

Back