72 Heading Down Under

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1966 coupe - 347w
1971 Mach 1 - J code
1972 Mach 1 - Q code
Just thought I'd post a short video link to the 72 Q Code I brought that is on it's way down under to Australia [sorry, one less for you USA boys, but these cars need loveing where ever it can be found]

I brought the car in May but as normal, due to various things/issues it's only leaving Florida now, but no fault of my purchasing agent Matt

She's wearing 18' rims all round with 275x45 on the rear and 245x45 on the front. I rekon they look S#*T HOT....

I'm just so happy and excited I needed to share......

You bought a verry nice looking Mach-1 , is there a lot of stuf to do or can you hit the road right away ( as soon you have it checked bij Australian DMV i asume ).

My 72 Q-code was checked by DMV in Holland last Tuesday , found the papers i the mailbox this morning.

So i have to get me 2 licence plates now and hit the road.

JB

Need to do a few things first before getting her registerd, have to change the head light, so they dip to the left, from high to low and need an automotive engineer to verifiy that the car is structural an mechanically sound and meats Australian ADR rules for a car of that period, no big deal.

No drama with it been left hand drive as it will be classed as a vintage registration, that been a vehicle of 25 years of age or older...

Need to do a few things first before getting her registerd, have to change the head light, so they dip to the left, from high to low and need an automotive engineer to verifiy that the car is structural an mechanically sound and meats Australian ADR rules for a car of that period, no big deal.

No drama with it been left hand drive as it will be classed as a vintage registration, that been a vehicle of 25 years of age or older...
Your compliance will rip you. (Well over the $1000.00 Aussie mark -depending on which state you live)

New Aussie seat belts are or can be the big ticket item.LOL

Austin.:)

I'm In Western Australia, compliance is pretty good and cheap over here compared to the eastern states.. proberly about $400.00 for every thing the road worthy boys want.

But I hear I'll get slugged with stamp duty and another fee for new car registration. or somthing along tho'es lines.. So your proberly right at about $1kish rego'd on the road...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm In Western Australia, compliance is pretty good and cheap over here compared to the eastern states.. proberly about $400.00 for every thing the road worthy boys want.

But I hear I'll get slugged with stamp duty and another fee for new car registration. or somthing along tho'es lines.. So your proberly right at about $1kish rego'd on the road...
Not sure about WA compliance costs, but i know QLD (East coast) compliance laws suck.

I had to fork out $1,400.00 for new compliance,after bringing my Muzzy up from SA where it had all been done before by the previous owner and importer. Add another $1,500.00 for new rego in the bargain.(STAMP DUTY COSTS are calculated on purchase price of your car) And lastly, if that wasn't enough, another $1350.00 in road shipping costs from South Australia to Queensland.

The Feds can do some serious damage to your wallet man!

Austin.:)

O'my thats a big hit to the wallet, It's no so bad here over west, once an engineer signs off on the car $300-$400 thats it, no need for a blue plate, just take the 3-4 page report with you to the rego depo along with the import approvel and as long as it pass's the pit inspection of you go, pay the necessary fees and your on the road...

Nice one Pegasis, I'm pretty sure if Matt has inspected the

car for you there will be no nasty surprises, so what's the ETA 4-6 weeks.

Cheers

Mark

It's currently in L.A waiting for a boat, it's been handled by Schumacher Cargo Logistics, looking at around 6 weeks at this stage to Fremantle.

Who's Matt? Obviously from the video he was in the US and is an Aussie. Does inspections or something?
Yep, Matt is a Aussie living in the USA (Tampa I think) He and his

misses own Shermatt International and look after alot of Aussies

for there 2 & 4 wheel dream machines

Cheers

Mark

Ah! Perth/Fremantle, Good People, Good Times!

Sounds like the purchase is just the beginning of the headache for taking the car over seas. We had a group of Aussie's visit one of our car shows here in Memphis, TN a couple of years back. Fun bunch and it was great to find out little more about how things go down under with classic cars.

The car looks great. Going to keep it original or modify it?

The car looks great. Going to keep it original or modify it?
I will leave her as is for a little while and just enjoy it, BUT I have a 460 needing a home so that will find its way into her, Warmish motor should get 500hp out of it, - 950 carb, edelbrock RPM air gap manifold, Trickflow heads, KB flat top hyper pistons on eagle rods, Comp cams XE274H cam backed to a full manual C6 and a 2500rpm stall convertor, back to a full Moser 31 spline diff assembly with 3.50 gears and true trac locker, with Wilwood disc brakes front and rear, Also have Global West 5 leaf mid eye rear springs with their Del-A-Lum bushing an shackle kit, 620 front springs 1' lowered and Edelbrock shocks all round, Should be able to give the Chev/Holden boys over here a good run. And be a blast to drive...

Back