72 Mach 1 Magnum Wheel and Tire - what is correct?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbracken

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Cobra Jet
Hi all, here's the first of my several queries as a newbie so bear with me - my guess is they've been answered before. I just did a quick search and didn't get to my answer...

My 72 Mach 1 has Magnum 500 with Dunlop Radial GT Qualifiers all round - see pics in my gallery. I know they were not on the car when new - I have the Marti report.

My questions are:

- what size were the Magnum wheels and tires that were fitted as options in early 72? Mine are 14" and the tires are 275/60x14 all round. Most of the other Mach 1s I've seen with Magnums seem to be 15"??

- I have no idea how old the tires are but they are not young and I cannot locate a DOT mark anywhere on any of them. The look good and have no cracks but I'm guessing they must be 15 years plus old and I should therefore change them. So what to? I guess BF Goodrich would be available in this size but what others would you consider that would fit this wheel size?

Thanks all in advance.

For 71 and 72 Mustangs (not 73) 15 inch Magnums were all that were available (no 14 inch ones!). Magnums not offered in 1973 and if one tried to order on their car, they were substituted with the 'slotted' mag type aluminum wheels.

F-60 15 Firestone or Goodyear tires were only options if Magnums or 15 inch wheels were chosen as option.

Many other threads on this - use the search box in upper corner of page to use and search.

Also check the 71 and 72 Mustang Facts Books in our WIKI.

Ray

15x7 magnums optional on any v-8 powered Mustang in 71-72, with required optional F-60-15 tires.

For 73, no 15" wheels of any kind available, only 14".

By the way: the 15x7 Magnums required that the customer also checked the box for Competition Suspension.

For 71 and 72 Mustangs (not 73) 15 inch Magnums were all that were available (no 14 inch ones!). Magnums not offered in 1973 and if one tried to order on their car, they were substituted with the 'slotted' mag type aluminum wheels.

F-60 15 Firestone or Goodyear tires were only options if Magnums or 15 inch wheels were chosen as option.

Many other threads on this - use the search box in upper corner of page to use and search.

Also check the 71 and 72 Mustang Facts Books in our WIKI.

Ray
Thanks guys - what a brilliant resource this forum is. I had not found the Wiki section previously - wow! I'll do my best using the search function on the site before posting more questions.

Thanks guys - what a brilliant resource this forum is. I had not found the Wiki section previously - wow! I'll do my best using the search function on the site before posting more questions.

All good. - The search box can help you get a better idea so then you know a little more about composing your question/answer.

The main reason I like to use it as much as possible - this site has been around since 2010 with a lot of folks that know a lot more than I do!

It is crazy how much I have learned from this site - AND KEEP LEARNING!!!! :dodgy:

Ray

Back