72 Mach 1 Master cylinder.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the brake line I already have. Thanks for the effort. What I did was cut off the flare on the brake lines and put a different nut. I only lost an 1/8 of an inch off the original lines. I just got the flaring tool today and finished the lines. I'll put them on next weekend and see what happens.

interesting. so you needed a smaller thread on the master side?

because the Master i used 7-1-72 needed the smaller fitting.

Yep, I needed a smaller fitting. I ordered the pre 7-1-72 and the post 7-1-72 master cylinders and they both were the same. Obviously somebody made a mistake and went through no effort to help resolve the issue. That's OK, they lost my business. The line I had on the car look like the one in your picture. I just cut both flare nuts off and got a line with the correct flare nuts and put them on the lines. By the way. Why do the brake lines at the master cylinder have the springs around them? I bought the line with the correct fittings and bent it but it didn't have the springs around it so I didn't use it.

cool i'm glad you were able to work around the problem :( too bad about how it all went down.

ah the reason the front lines have springs on them is to prevent the lines from kinking when they formed them they just never bothered to take the spring off before they installed the nuts and double flared the line. now from ford originally the lines were also left with the springs on the tubing. its possible the springs served an additional job in the event of an accident helping to prevent the lines from kinking or snapping as the aprons of the engine bay collapsed into the firewall. so at least the braking system held pressure during the accident.

Back