72 Mach 1 Master cylinder.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmountainfarm

Reaction score
My Car
1931 Ford Tudor, 1969 Ford Torino GT Convertible, 1972 Ford Mach 1, 1990 Ford F350 CrewCab 4x4. 2005 Ford Taurus. 1966 F100 Stepside
I have a 72 Mach 1 that I've been restoring. They have two different Master Cylinders for the 72 power disc brake cars, one for pre 7-72 and one for after 7-72. I bought the pre July one and it bolted right up but the brake line connections didn't fit. So I figured mine was post 7-72. I ordered it from CJ Pony Parts and it seems to be the exact same as the one I already have, bolts up but the brake lines don't fit. They sure seem to be the original brake lines. Has anybody else ran into this problem?

It sounds like you are missing the brass adaptors that go between the lines and the master cylinder. Are they still on the old Master cylinder? If not a decent parts store should have them.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
No I have the brass adapters. There is no way they'll screw into either master cylinder.

Mmm... is your problem the lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve? don´t you have the old master cylinder just to check?...

Maybe you´re buying repros and they dont are exactly as the should be or maybe, CJ Pony Parts made a mistake with either one of the master cylinders they sent you...

If your lines are original they should fit in the correct part for sure... In my 72, with original lines too, i´m now running with the 1970 hardtop (302, 2V with power breakes) master cylinder and it was exactly the same as my 72 one... Both master cylinders i have are factrory original

I bought the complete rebuilt MasterCylinder from O'Reilly Autoparts, no problems, used the brass adapters from the old unit. Unit was rebuilt by Cardone.

i went through this about 5 years ago, I'm trying to remember details.

I have an early 72 built in 08/71. basically it uses the 71 parts.

first there should be no adapters on the brake lines. there should never be an adapter anywhere because it introduces another connection in the brake system and increase the chance for leaks to occur.

This is the correct setup for an early 72 as far as connections, i won't say its concourse correct.

100_1287.jpg

what i noted was, the later 72 after 7/72 they switched to 73 parts. the 73 master has a larger NP connector on the rear drum line. the tubing is the same size but for some reason they made the fitting larger.

a lot of cars have the wrong lines going into the prop valve. the prop valve didn't seem to change during 71-73 all the ones i have seen have the same size connector. so what you can do is order the later prop valve connectors and it should bolt right up.

if i remember at the time they didn't offer a distinction between early and late 72 cars and i had to hunt around for the correct master and lines.

now i went through SCR, Shafer classic reprodutions to get the correct brake lines at the time, i see that now Shafer doesn't list the parts any more for the 71-72 mustang prop valve brake lines. It seems mustangs unlimited doesn't carry them separately anymore they seem to be part of the larger replacement kits.

www.shaferclassic.com

I basically ended up buying 3 different master cylinders and 4 different sets of brake lines to the prop valve before i found the correct parts i needed, without making the parts myself.

there is a lot of confusion on the 72s in regards to parts fitting because they are a mix of 71 and 73 parts, the further along in production your car was to 73 the more 73 parts you got.

for example it was assumed 72 received seat belt warning lights and retractable belts. but all the early ones are just like the 71s no warning light and the belts do not retract in the rear. this also means the use of 71 rear quarter trim panels without the inserts. also early dome lights and headlight switches.

i went through this about 5 years ago, I'm trying to remember details.

I have an early 72 built in 08/71. basically it uses the 71 parts.

first there should be no adapters on the brake lines. there should never be an adapter anywhere because it introduces another connection in the brake system and increase the chance for leaks to occur.

This is the correct setup for an early 72 as far as connections, i won't say its concourse correct.

100_1287.jpg

what i noted was, the later 72 after 7/72 they switched to 73 parts. the 73 master has a larger NP connector on the rear drum line. the tubing is the same size but for some reason they made the fitting larger.

a lot of cars have the wrong lines going into the prop valve. the prop valve didn't seem to change during 71-73 all the ones i have seen have the same size connector. so what you can do is order the later prop valve connectors and it should bolt right up.

if i remember at the time they didn't offer a distinction between early and late 72 cars and i had to hunt around for the correct master and lines.

now i went through SCR, Shafer classic reprodutions to get the correct brake lines at the time, i see that now Shafer doesn't list the parts any more for the 71-72 mustang prop valve brake lines. It seems mustangs unlimited doesn't carry them separately anymore they seem to be part of the larger replacement kits.

www.shaferclassic.com

I basically ended up buying 3 different master cylinders and 4 different sets of brake lines to the prop valve before i found the correct parts i needed, without making the parts myself.

there is a lot of confusion on the 72s in regards to parts fitting because they are a mix of 71 and 73 parts, the further along in production your car was to 73 the more 73 parts you got.

for example it was assumed 72 received seat belt warning lights and retractable belts. but all the early ones are just like the 71s no warning light and the belts do not retract in the rear. this also means the use of 71 rear quarter trim panels without the inserts. also early dome lights and headlight switches.
You´re right.. my car is from april 1972 and i didn´t find almost no part dated on 1972 but 1971...

In my car, as i said before, the master cylinder of my 1970 coupé fitted perfectly... The original master has a different cup cover though but the fit is the same.

Why don´t you ask Don for the right configuration and maybe with pics and some other specific data he can solve you this issue??

there is debate about the covers that go on the master.

from the factory my understanding is the covers were painted black. and sometimes the master was painted black.

others seem to think its suppose to be gold cadmium or zinc coated and that ford got sloppy under the hood when they painted the gray slop paint on the engine bay. and they just sprayed everything after it was installed.

I tend to go with they were sloppy under the hood and didn't care so the parts were installed then the engine bay was bombed with paint. i decided to leave mine natural colors since it looks prettier under the hood.

every survivor 71-73 car I've seen has the original brake lines and prop valve Bombed with black paint. and you can see remnants of black paint on the master cap and the master itself its just Dot 3 over time took the paint off. so that adds evidence of the parts installing on the firewall and aprons first then the engine bay was bombed black before the engine went in.

Great information 72HCODE. Both the ones I've been sent have the slightly bigger hose in the rear. The one that came on the car has brass adapters and the bigger hose is in front. The hoses that come up from the proportioning valve are the same size but the one in front has a bigger connector. My car has retractable seat belts in the back and a seatbelt warning light. I'm thinking the easiest fix is to just make new brake lines and leave off those brass connectors.

Great information 72HCODE. Both the ones I've been sent have the slightly bigger hose in the rear. The one that came on the car has brass adapters and the bigger hose is in front. The hoses that come up from the proportioning valve are the same size but the one in front has a bigger connector. My car has retractable seat belts in the back and a seatbelt warning light. I'm thinking the easiest fix is to just make new brake lines and leave off those brass connectors.
Can you post any pictures?

Certain vendors are famous for "adjusting" the applications of certain parts. One that comes to mind is the front brake line kit. I got hosed on that one and have a 71 master with the 72-3 lines. Had to use an adapter....

Thank you Mustangs Unlimited... :mad::mad:

I don't know if mustangs unlimited is responsible it seems there vendors make lots of mistakes when boxing things up.

For example on the masters, they come from another company that takes cores and rebuilds them. I'm sure these people do not know the intricate details on these masters they just assume all 71-73s must be the same.

The same with schafer that makes brake lines, it was a real pain trying to get the correct lines with the right fittings.

Even the people that recore the distributors dont know the differences they lump all 70-73 as the same but there are changes to the mechanical advance degree plate that can be a problem if you run full manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance. Ford added more and more mechanical advance over time to try and make up for the performance loss on the engines due to government rule changes and being forced to use ported factor emissions at idle.

The original master cylinder is trash. Wouldn't even want to try and rebuild it. I do a lot of buying off eBay and I bought the first master cylinder off it. When it didn't fit, I decided to go through CJ Pony Parts becuase I've bought a good many parts from them and everything from them was first class and right. They had to back order the post 7-72 master cylinder. Then when it came it is exactly what I already have. I hate to try again because the shipping is starting to kill me. All the local parts stores have to special order it also. I just feel as if I'd be better off to make two new brake lines and be done with this. I was hoping Don from Ohio Mustangs would have jumped into this conversation with some sound advice because he really knows his Mustangs and all the parts I've ordered from him have been correct so far.

I'm looking through boxes trying to find the schfer lines for the prop connectors because i had a set of the later ones with the larger fittings in stainless steel. But i have this feeling that i gave them away about 2-3 years ago in a big pile of 71-72 parts i traded.

i'm going to look this weekend if i find it and we can confirm it will fit your master i'll send it your way.

well i looked and i gave them away a few years ago, sorry :(.

Back