72 Mach 1 vs tree

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I don’t know if there is anything wrong with those tires, just a connection between totaled 71-73’s and those tires seems to exist.

Probably has more to do with too much go pedal and not enough other safe driving components.
Safe driving components have nothing to do with it. The only component that has anything to do with it is the driver and their ability to stay with in posted speed limits. I did the same thing to my 1st mach1 over 40 years ago because of my inability to do the speed limit. If you notice the new mustangs have all the latest safety components but there getting totaled left and right. Speed being the contributing factor in almost all of the accidents. Praying these 2 young people recover and are able to put this in their life experience folder and learn from it. As young adults people can tell us about the dangers of speed and Physics, but as young people we are invincible. As a young man I had adults trying to tell me about the dangers of speed but it failed to register until the night I tried to turn my Mach 1 inside out.

Attachments

• 78621442-2633390336736555-1258195864610930688-n.jpg
    78621442-2633390336736555-1258195864610930688-n.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Wow, that’s bad! Hope they recover quickly with minimal long term effects.

Roughly 35 years ago we came across an accident scene where a ‘69 fastback had a similar meeting with a tree. five months later my Dad and I were working on my ‘69 at the Air Force base auto shop and someone asked if I would be interested in parts. It turned out to be a buddy of the guy who wrapped his around the tree. I went to look at it and did buy the rear fold down seat parts which surprisingly were still good. It took me hours to get the parts out of the car though with the passenger door not able to open and the roof smashed to the belt line. The poor guy was still in a cast and on crutches watching out the window. I felt quite guilty taking parts off his baby… I had the option to buy the whole car, but there really wasn’t much left that was usable. It had a 4 speed but I was worried it was damaged the car was so twisted.

Younger drivers are not used to our 'analog' cars. No traction control, no stability control, no antilock brakes. The Viper is one example, lots of horse power but no aides.

You can always replace a car, but that does not matter. That crash looks so very bad. They are in my prayers.

Ron

Wasn't there a similar (if not identical) crash a couple of years ago? I wonder if these are the same pictures.

I had a buddy in high school wrap his 72 Mach around a tree back in 74. Back then of course most of us couldn’t afford such a new car, and jealousy made for lots of negative comments about the guy. Fact is he really got hurt badly, and was in the hospital for a while , my recollection is he lost his spleen. He was never the same. I really hope these kids aren’t too messed up and have a full recovery.
On the other hand , I wish the car was close by, I see parts I could use ! LOL

That crash looks so scary to me. When I was just out of high school, It seemed that there wasn't a car too loud, too powerfull for me. I was filled with the "I'll live forever" mentality. Stupidly, I did a bit of street racing. I drag raced my Dad's boats as well. Somehow, I came through it all without getting hurt, though I came close a few times.
As I matured, I became more aware, saw things happening to other guys, saw their beautiful machines, that they had worked so hard on and spent countless dollars and time on, turn into scrap heap sculptures.
I've heard for years, the phrase " drive it like you stole it". That phrase sounds so ignorant to me. I think we all ought to drive "like we cherish our lives and our machines". Sounds corny, and I don't mean to preach, but most every street accident causing major damage and death involves speed. The results aren't worth the risk. There's a place to test your mettle, on the track or strip. These days, I'm more into preserving the breed, as opposed to proving something.

Both of these guys had years of experence driving, checked out mechanically perfect, drove under controlled conditions, had safety equipment.......they didn't hit each other, one unforseen little ripple in the water later and.............well, the same can happen with your car. Thankfully, both drag boat drivers lived with assorted minor injuries.

Attachments

• J-COOL-3w.jpg
    J-COOL-3w.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
  • J-COOL-4w.jpg
    J-COOL-4w.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Est. Retail Value
$39,154 USD

Looks like no power brakes, no AC.
Surprisingly, the front bumper looks like its in great shape. Thats one of the harder parts to get for these cars.

Some of the sheet metal that still looks good are the parts I could use for mine. Tail light panel, rear quarters, trunk opening, and most of the C pillar.

Back