72 Mach1 - Convert from stock heater box to after market AC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 72 Mach 1 (351C) that was not optioned with AC from the factory. I live in Australia and love to drive my ride all year round. As you know, our summers get warm so am keen to add AC to the car. I would prefer a kit that makes the install look as factory as I can. I have done some research and see there are a few kits around.

Has anyone done a non AC to AC conversion and if so what kit do you recommend?

I see there is:
Classic AutoAir kit - https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/complete-ac-systems/1971-ford-mustang-air-conditioning-system/
Restomod air kit - https://restomodair.com/shopproducts/1971-73-mustang-trumod-complete-a-c-system/
Old Air Products Hurricane via CJ pony - https://www.cjponyparts.com/old-air...system-electronic-351c-1971-1973/p/CAP1172MC/

The old Air Products kit does not look like it uses the factory air vents.
I think I would lean towards the Classic AutoAir kit. I would like to keep the under bonnet looking factory with a factory looking compressor. As the Australian Falcons used the same compressor, I should be able to pick one up.
Any experience with these kits?

I have a Classic Auto Air HVAC in my car and couldn't be happier. Mine is an earlier kit, so it has the slider adapters for the controls, but other than that, it's pretty much the same.

My only complaint is the lack of an idler pulley on the A/C compressor belt. CAA said to just run a longer belt off the power steering circuit, but I'm not keen on 4 pulleys on a single V-belt. So, I did some digging around, acquired a factory-style idler pulley and 3-groove crank pully, along with an adapter kit for mounting the Sanden compressor to the factory idler pulley bracket. All of those extra parts can be found on CAA's Original Air division, including the Sanden Adapter bracket.

BTW - almost all of the aftermarket HVAC systems are pretty much the same. I just got a Nostalgic Air system for my '80 Jeep CJ-7, and it's almost identical to the CAA system in my Mach 1. The instructions on the CAA system are vastly superior, though.

Here's an install of the CAA system (not my engine), along with the bracket I was talking about that bridges the gap to the factory idler pulley (far right on the 1st pic, U-shaped piece of bar stock)
1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+cleveland_4v_engine_upgraded.jpg
1971_ford_mustang_mach_1+cleveland_4v_engine_upgraded_2.jpg

Hope that helps!

bdennis,
I would be very interested in your project with your AC.
My project led me in a different direction - in my rebuild, I had a roof that looked OK but ended
up being dished and full of bog (8mm).
Once taken back to bare metal it was the best oil can roof you could find - rather than buy a roof from
the States, I installed a sunroof which solved the problem but cost $AUD2000 to do.
I will sort the heating and cooling out once on the road and driving.
Give me a call, I would like to have a chat with you, not many guys in Melbourne.
Mel (0419 044 550) 1971 MACH 1 RESTOMOD.

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20171123_092115 (1).jpg
    20171123_092115 (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Hey Mel,
Yeh happy to chat. Im out in Sunbury.

Nice work on the Mach1. What type of Sunroof did you install? One like the Falcon ones?

in the course of this part of the restoration im going with the Classic Auto Air system. I really like the fan upgrade.

Back