72 mustang h pipe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPAIN72MUSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang convertible
2008 ford edge
2006 cadillac cts
Can you put a h pipe on a 72 convertible,I have dual exhaust and wondering if it will fit under the car someone told me there no room it will drag on bottom,does anyone have a h pipe or x pipe on there mustang with problems thanks ron

Wow no one can answer this.....this site is not the same forum it once was for answers....

Definitely can as my Q code vert still had the original h pipe (it still had the original section from the exhaust manifolds to just past the h pipe) and have fitted one to my new system, no problems at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was waiting for some one with a Drop Top to answer..but let me see if I can help shed a little light for you. My cars are Mach 1's and have the same chassis as your car but with yours having additional bracing and reinforcements. So I know things can get a little tight underneath these cars. The 71 convertible could be ordered with a 4v Cleveland or 429 CJ/SCJ. The 72 would be the same minus the 429 option. All these engine options would have come from Ford with dual exhaust and an "H" pipe. As long as your H pipe has the same configuration as the factory unit I don't see where you should have any fitment problems.

The only Mustangs I ever had ground clearance problems were equipped with after market headers.

Hope this helps!

My 73 vert has custom H-pipe we made when we fabricated and installed the 2" dual exhaust. Biggest issue is to route it through the tunnel and above the convertible plate but anyone who has experience with exhaust systems can do this with no problems. X-pipe will work as well.

Thanks guys for the help I appreciate it I'm off to the shop to drop the car off to get it done .some shops give you bad advice that's why I came here if anyone new it be the 7173 family.thanks again for your time ron

Wow no one can answer this.....this site is not the same forum it once was for answers....

Hey Ron -

Please try and keep from posting stuff like that! Our members are good and have a lot to offer BUT your post was a little offensive. A lot of people work very hard (FOR FREE) to keep this forum as one of the very best on the 'net.

Like a slap in the face. Normally if someone slaps me in the face they don't end up nearly as appreciative as you are now. :dodgy:

Many of us are busy at different times. And some of us are contemplating the best response for your questions. So just remember to be a little more considerate with your posts and all will be good.

Now to your question:

Others have offered you great info already.

I know Scott Fuller sells complete and high quality reproduction exhaust system for the rare performance Mustangs of 1971; Boss 351 and 429 CJ/SCJ models. And the non-Mach 1 version of their big block product would be OK for a convertible. I know your car is a 351 C 2V but this template should be fine.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/page/page/4594567.htm

Scott Fuller Boss 351 exhaust.JPG

I hope you find an exhaust shop that will make it work!

Ray

My 72 convertible has an H pipe. It´s the standard 2 1/4 repro exhaust for Fastback and coupe for a 351C although mine has a 351 Windsor. It also has shorty headers.

As for the rest I agree with Ray....... :dodgy:

032.JPG

For those of us in the US, the original post was made Friday night. The next post was mage at Saturday around noon.

For me, I was busy last night doing Friday night stuff with the family. Then all of this morning we took the boat out and was doing more family stuff. Just hit home and thought I'd check in and saw this. I would guess there are many US members who also had stuff going on during this time.

To answer your question, yes, an H-pipe will easily fit on 71-73 convertibles.

Back