72 Plymouth Scamp

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe, 302, Barn Fresh, was already torn down to a shell when i got it, needs floor pans, quarter panels, fenders, doors, front clip, transmission work, and engine work. Bought the car for $500 from my high school teacher.
So the other day i found a 72 plymouth scamp for sale it was in running condition with a slant 6 all original and needed minimal work done. Guy was asking 3000 for it any thoughts on weather its a good deal or not????

My Grandfather bought a bright blue '72 Scamp and later gave it to me. IIRC the manual steering was really slow but other than that I liked the car. I wanted to make a street/strip car out of it but Chicago salt made me decide to forget that project.

I think the only repairs I had to do were to replace the distributor gear and a heater core (it was 12 years old when I got rid of it).

Do you have any pictures of it? $3000.00 doesn't sound too bad if there are no major issues. Not sure about how desirable a slant 6 is but you could always put a small V8 in it. You don't see many of these around anymore.

I must admit I'd never heard of it but I looked up some pictures and I really like it! Looks like a classic Mopar only smaller and without the huge price tag.

A small V8 in that car would probably make it a fun driver. Just for fun I'd paint it a classic Mopar color like Plum Crazy and give it the full "Rapid Transit System" treatment with stripes and everything. :)

The Scamp was the Plymouth version of the Dodge Dart, which my family owned growing up. Decent car, great vision all around the vehicle. I'm guessing this has the 225 slant six which was an extremely reliable engine. Drop in a 318, or better yet a 340, and it would a ton of fun!

Scott

limaohio.craigslist.org/cto/5555154654.html

if you copy this into your search bar it should pull up the craigslist add for pictures.

Also the car is a 74 not 72 my bad.

I must admit I'd never heard of it but I looked up some pictures and I really like it! Looks like a classic Mopar only smaller and without the huge price tag.

A small V8 in that car would probably make it a fun driver. Just for fun I'd paint it a classic Mopar color like Plum Crazy and give it the full "Rapid Transit System" treatment with stripes and everything. :)
Mike,

Here you go, a 74 in Plum crazy.

30541524-622-1974-PLYMOUTH-SCAMP.jpg

I had a 74 Plymouth "Gold Edition" Duster. It was a dark green with a gold racing stripe. Funny thing is, it looked fast but was only a 198 CI slant six with a 3 speed shift. Lots of fun to drive but I sold it when it was time for a new clutch. The Scamp would probably be fun to drive around. You would probably get a lot of questions.

Mike,

Here you go, a 74 in Plum crazy.
See, that's what I'm talking about. Looks like a Mopar, it's a Mopar and it doesn't come with the usual high Mopar price tag.

That thing looks like fun. And think of all the attention it would get amongst all the Chargers and Roadrunners.

The guy selling the car has a 360 that will fit in the car but it needs rebuilt and the stang is #1 priority.

My first new car was 1972 Plymouth Scamp 2 door hardtop with a 318 automatic. Black on black with a vinyl top. It stickered for about $3200 and I bought for about $2950. Then I saw the movie "Vanishing Point" and went and ordered a 1973 Dodge Challenger 340 4 speed. Oddly, in 73 the 440 was only available in the Cuda if I remember correctly. Years later I bought a Plum Crazy 69 Dart with a built 440. My in-laws owned a Chrysler-Plymouth-Desoto dealership so I have a long history with Mopars. I bough a 67 GTX 440 Super Commando from them when I was a senior in high school. Hard to imagine a 17 year old kid driving that to school these days.

My first new car was 1972 Plymouth Scamp 2 door hardtop with a 318 automatic. Black on black with a vinyl top. It stickered for about $3200 and I bought for about $2950. Then I saw the movie "Vanishing Point" and went and ordered a 1973 Dodge Challenger 340 4 speed. Oddly, in 73 the 440 was only available in the Cuda if I remember correctly. Years later I bought a Plum Crazy 69 Dart with a built 440. My in-laws owned a Chrysler-Plymouth-Desoto dealership so I have a long history with Mopars. I bough a 67 GTX 440 Super Commando from them when I was a senior in high school. Hard to imagine a 17 year old kid driving that to school these days.
I dig that movie- haven't seen it since the late 1970's. Not the best way to deliver a car, but plenty of great driving scenes. heh No big blocks at all in the Cuda or Challenger after '71, pretty much like the Mustang. Biggest engine was the 340 until they put the 360 in them ('74 I believe). I had a buddy with a '71 Cuda 383 4 speed with pistol grip shifter. White with the big black 383 billboard stripe on the rear quarters. It was a low-mileage car, very well taken care of, original paint yet in 1980. It rode and handled terribly and the interior, especially inside the doors, rattled quite a bit. Still a cool car to cruise around in and it made some beautiful sounds from the rear.

Back