72 production numbers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Kevin Marti's book "Mustang by the numbers," there were 2,142 convertibles produced with factory (Integral) AC. In comparison, Dearborn built 34,252 coupes and 19,214 Sportsroof models with the AC option. The $367.59 price made AC one of the more expensive options in '72. A tinted windshield was standard on the vert but was part of the tinted glass option recommended for vehicles ordered with the optional AC.
Drop that top, get that air in your hair, or turn the AC on....decisions, decisions! 😊

Thanks for the data. MIne has factory ac and I thought it was a fairly rare option....now I know. Really appreciate it!

According to Kevin Marti's book "Mustang by the numbers," there were 2,142 convertibles produced with factory (Integral) AC. In comparison, Dearborn built 34,252 coupes and 19,214 Sportsroof models with the AC option. The $367.59 price made AC one of the more expensive options in '72. A tinted windshield was standard on the vert but was part of the tinted glass option recommended for vehicles ordered with the optional AC.
Drop that top, get that air in your hair, or turn the AC on....decisions, decisions! 😊
Or take out the AC (and store it) to save some weight and power. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• FC95C997-2C02-4BFB-AC26-72C3A4A8A0DB.jpeg
    FC95C997-2C02-4BFB-AC26-72C3A4A8A0DB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Does the a/c always show up on the Marti? I ask because the 6 cylinder vert I recently acquired does not have it listed on the Marti, but appears to be stock. I suppose someone could have added it at some point.

Does the a/c always show up on the Marti? I ask because the 6 cylinder vert I recently acquired does not have it listed on the Marti, but appears to be stock. I suppose someone could have added it at some point.

AC will show on the Marti Report. It'll also show on the buck tag as the cowl, firewall and floorpan are different than a non-AC car.

If you have a cowl hat on the driver's side, it's not a factory AC car.

Is it related to a fresh air vent? Cause I do have one on drivers side.

Is it related to a fresh air vent? Cause I do have one on drivers side.

The cowl "hat" is inside the cowl area, and feeds the fresh air vent. An AC car will only have one on the passenger side and no fresh air vents. Non-AC cars have both, and a fresh air vent on each side.

1656947114950.png

Looking at your pics of the car, you can see where the original heater-only heater core holes in the firewall have been capped with grommets. I think maybe an original factory AC system has been retrofitted to your car. The woodgrain center bezel was not used in convertibles either, so there has been some parts swapping going on.

1656947482825.png

Back