72 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Wasp

Reaction score
My Car
72 Fastback
Hello everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself, I have always been a Mustang guy and have owned a 65 coupe and a 69 Fastback. Now on Saturday I am picking up a 72 Fastback or sportsroof? Not sure the right term for these years.

My wife affectionally calls it the Wasp.

Anyway I can't wait to get started on it, initial plans are to get the car road ready with some Total Control or similar suspension components and eventually a 7.3L Godzilla swap.

But first will be Floor pans and wiring harness.

Any suggestions on this would be great. I am pretty sure I want to use Painless, in the past I wired my 69 with an EZ wire kit. Painless seems to have taken the lead on these currently.

Also, many of the catalogue companies don't seem to be around any longer. Other than NPD, who do you guys like to get parts from these days?

Thanks!
Joe

Attachments

• Exterior_1.jpg
    Exterior_1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Exterior_2.jpg
    Exterior_2.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
  • interior_1.jpg
    interior_1.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0
  • interior_2.jpg
    interior_2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 0
Congrats on the new car and welcome from Texas. There are allot of forum members that have parts resources and you'll find they are always ready to help. Check out the marketplace forum for more info on that. I do still use NPD, I have since the '90s. Old habits are hard to break.

Can't wait to see more pictures of your project and hear the backstory on the Wasp!

Welcome from Chicago! Looks like you have a nice project there, enjoy!
Being new to Mustangs, I took the recommendation of the guy I purchased my car from to get parts from CJ Pony Parts. I got a lot of stuff from them at first but did not like the quality of most parts and had a problem with returning a part that they double shipped and double billed me for. Doing a full restoration I have purchased, and still need to purchase, a lot of parts. So, now I get most of what I need from NPD, I am happier with the parts quality and customer service. I have also used Motor City Mustang and Ohio Mustang and have had very good experiences with both of them as well.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I don't know a ton of information on the vehicle yet, other than it was used primarily as a drag racing car. So I am hoping for a decent car to start with. It has sub frame connectors already installed and he claimed the rear quarters have been replaced. We will see!

I have also used Motor City Mustang and Ohio Mustang and have had very good experiences with both of them as well.
Plus 1 on both. Both of these guys are top shelf and go out of their way to really help you out.

On the harness question, I used a Ron Francis harness on my 71 and we used a Painless one my wifes 70. Both worked well. We bought an "off the shelf" one for the 70 and I was able to contact Ron Francis and have one built to what I was going to run in the car. Both good choices IMO.

Welcome from Chicago! Looks like you have a nice project there, enjoy!
Being new to Mustangs, I took the recommendation of the guy I purchased my car from to get parts from CJ Pony Parts. I got a lot of stuff from them at first but did not like the quality of most parts and had a problem with returning a part that they double shipped and double billed me for. Doing a full restoration I have purchased, and still need to purchase, a lot of parts. So, now I get most of what I need from NPD, I am happier with the parts quality and customer service. I have also used Motor City Mustang and Ohio Mustang and have had very good experiences with both of them as well.
If you need some parts for a 71-73, I have a few on my Ebay Store, let me know if you want the link to the Ebay Store

Last edited:
Welcome! I am also restoring a '72, a Mach 1. So far I am really enjoying the process. I have ordered parts from CJ's and NPD. So far everything seems to be very good. Make sure, if possible, to order either CJ's classic parts or Dynacorn. It can be a long road but at the end another Mustang is back on the road for people to enjoy. Good luck!

The following is just my opinion based on my experiences. If you have an alternate source, don't select parts marketed by Scott Drake. I don't believe they "make" anything. The Daniel Carpenter parts seem to be MUCH better quality. Chuck

Back