• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

72 R code for sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W/ a CJ air cleaner & power windows I question it's an R code. I've read that no 'R' came w/ power windows.
Interesting info about the R codes never being equipped with power windows. Any references?

But the other thinking would be, for 1972, the 351 HO engine option could only be equipped with Wide Ratio 4 speed; code "5" and the 3.91 traction lock rear axle ratio; code "V".

As for the breather cover someone could have placed the incorrect cover or maybe put on the wrong repro sticker.

Hood locks are aftermarket...

It sure appears to be a true R code, short of pulling the fender and checking against the door, dash and title VIN's.

Ray

"R codes never being equipped with power windows. Any references?"

I saw it on BOSS351.org; that domain no longer exists. Since one could order any '72 Mustang w/ 351HO, it's possible a '72 would have PW option.

"As for the breather cover"

Look again, not only the air cleaner. Where are the cast aluminum valve covers?

"It sure appears to be a true R code"

As we all know, any '72 could be ordered as an 'R'; outer appearance means nothing. In this case, appearing as an R code needs to be backed up by verifiable tags & documentation. So yeah, pull fender, tags etc & check against all VIN locations.

"As for the breather cover"

Look again, not only the air cleaner. Where are the cast aluminum valve covers?

"It sure appears to be a true R code"

As we all know, any '72 could be ordered as an 'R'; outer appearance means nothing. In this case, appearing as an R code needs to be backed up by verifiable tags & documentation. So yeah, pull fender, tags etc & check against all VIN locations.
Your points very well taken. After considering them, I now suspect the car to be a R code but might have a CJ motor? Sure wish it was closer to me. I'd like to get a better look.

Dang - Buyer be (very) aware!!!

But it would still be a fun car to have. Even without the matching number or a real HO 351, a guy could build a killer motor and still enjoy the car for what is is. Not as valuable but still very fun car to own.

Ray

Fun car indeed, even w/ a low compression CJ; at least had a good cam if timed correctly. Hyd motor better for street & I'm all for driving them. The 'V' axle is evidence for an 'R' & only adds to the fun in my world. Thanks for comments!

W/ a CJ air cleaner & power windows I question it's an R code. I've read that no 'R' came w/ power windows.
I can post a Marti Report stating otherwise. Dad's R Code came with power windows.

As already stated; that info came fr a site that no longer exists (BOSS351.org - "server can't be found"). The '71 BOSS351 offered fewer options; that changed in '72 when the detuned 'R' engine was offered in any Mustang. Marti is THE MAN. Despite missing the "B" body code on mine he nailed everything else.

I can post a Marti Report stating otherwise. Dad's R Code came with power windows.

As already stated; that info came fr a site that no longer exists (BOSS351.org - "server can't be found"). The '71 BOSS351 offered fewer options; that changed in '72 when the detuned 'R' engine was offered in any Mustang. Marti is THE MAN. Despite missing the "B" body code on mine he nailed everything else.
I think we are all on the same page. But djjsc, mweeps was providing substantive proof to show "what you read" was incorrect. You mentioned the info was from the now dufunk'd Boss 351 website. And then you placed your idea concerning why it might be possible to have power windows with an R code 72. All good and all good info!

We work so hard to try and keep the info as correct as possible about these cars. Have I been wrong? - you bet and I am quick to recant my information to help keep accurate info in front of those desiring to know.

There is a ton of misinformation out there. We do our best to provide the most correct info...

Ray

Thanks Ray! It does seem like correct info for Fords is much harder to find; and more so for anything Cleveland related. Searching, cross referencing & verifying takes considerable time to achieve the desired result. The BOSS351 registry has 2) 1971 R code Mustangs documented to have had power windows as factory options. Once I got the search terminology right, there it was. My apologies & thanks to all. Doug

Thanks Ray! It does seem like correct info for Fords is much harder to find; and more so for anything Cleveland related. Searching, cross referencing & verifying takes considerable time to achieve the desired result. The BOSS351 registry has 2) 1971 R code Mustangs documented to have had power windows as factory options. Once I got the search terminology right, there it was. My apologies & thanks to all. Doug

All good. Thanks for your research. It can be painful but it has to be done!!! :D

Ray

Back