72 race car update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it makes it a lot easier to do all the frame and bar work with no floor pans and get to get rid of a little weight.

Where's the whole car :huh: ?!? You cut all out!!!

Respect - you take no prisoners! Looks good ::thumb::

Looking forward to the end-result ;)

Wow you've been busy. Love the cage work.

I need to get some lessons from you on back halfing.  I will be tackling a 68 Cyclone soon for a Pro-Street car not full on race. I plan to go big tire DOT. I need to see if I can save the back seat in it.  Still collecting parts to restore the exterior.  It not easy to find parts for this very low production model.

IMG_0585.JPG

Thinking of this rear 4 link.

Mertz Chassis3.jpg

I need to get some lessons from you on back halfing.  I will be tackling a 68 Cyclone soon for a Pro-Street car not full on race. I plan to go big tire DOT. I need to see if I can save the back seat in it.  Still collecting parts to restore the exterior.  It not easy to find parts for this very low production model.

Thinking of this rear 4 link.
yes you can keep a lot of the original sheet metal. how big of a tire are you going to run? You could just do a mini tub and keep a smaller tire and leave the frame rails alone. That kit looks like it attaches to the original frame rails. If you want to do a true back half it will be much easier to cut the trunk out but you can leave everything in front of that. my car had original sheet metal from right behind the shock mounting point forward till I tore it apart and it was just much easier to cut the whole floor out and start over.

this is before I tore it apart, those tubs barley fit a 14x33 tire, so keeping the rear seat with a tall tire is going to be hard but not impossable

here you can see how much stock sheet metal there still was left, the notches in the floor were to clear the ladder bars

some sheet metal work, still need to build battery trays and weld on a bunch of tabs for various items as I mock up all the stuff in the car.

Car is now back in my shop and I have ordered a bunch of parts but some of the custom stuff has been slow to come in like shifter, switch panels, etc. I got to remount the steering rack and add a few more tabs and on to body work. This car is rough and going to require alot of work.

headlight did show today

Got the kill switch mounted

Back