72 Vert frame work

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang convertible. 351C 4V
1968 Ford F-100 300 str6 3 sp
1999 Ford Contour sport V6 5sp
2000 Ford F350 4X4 7.3 turbo diesel dually
2000 Ford F150 4X4 5.7L
I started a thread like this before, but I need to start again in this one for verts.

So here I go, need to replace my inner rocker supports so I made a jig to hold the car and keep it from moving when I start the work. Scott and others have been a Big help but I did not have the jig made at that time, yes as you will see I went overboard making the jig but that's me.. it is two 4"X6"X13' I beams welded together 27" off the floor and leveled. This is my Datum line. When I get the car leveled I will attache it to the jig at 4 points on the frame and extensions for the rockers. I was sent a underbody dimensions sheet but nothing seems to work out. I was told to put 3X at 6.5" and 2X at 6.0" ( as you will see in the pic) when I do this the front end is 2" too high. when I level it to the top edge of the rockers it looks real good but do not know where the nose and tale should really be. there is my problem. I have some pic's to show the car at 6.5" and 6.0" I will next level to the rockers and post more pics.

Scott and all I am ready for your help please.

framedimensions1=6.0X6.5#1.gif

mustang leveling#1 001.JPG

mustang leveling#1 003.JPG

mustang leveling#1 004.JPG

mustang leveling#1 005.JPG

mustang leveling#1 006.JPG

Now I leveled it by the top edge of the rocker, this looks better and this is the difference in measurements.

As per the chart with the car leveled at the rocker it looks like:

the difference in measurements are 3/4" less then the chart ex: (center of front leaf spring bolt)

Chart is 7.44" = 7 1/16"

I have 6 3/4 that is a difference of -11/16" if I go by this it looks like I am aprox 1 1/4" low @ point A

aprox 1 3/8" low @ the nose

aprox 1/16 high in the back

am I looking at this the right way??

by the way the frame under the leaf spring bolt is 5 1/8" 1" more then the front point.

framedimensions1=6.0X6.5#1.gif

mustang leveling#1 008.JPG

mustang leveling#1 009.JPG

mustang leveling#1 011.JPG

mustang leveling#1 012.JPG

mustang leveling#1 013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
update,

found out to level the car with the rocker edge to the jig. Then set up a datum line to check all measurements on the passenger side. set the car to the datum line specs and then level side to side. after leveling the car to the datum line the car will be attached to the jig.

So I have been trying to do this and found out the front end is twisted 3/8", back end looks good. I will let you know when the car is level and attached to the jig. and yes I am dreaming about measurements at night!!!! LOL

I am not looking forward to this aspect of restoring my car one day. I'm sure it would be easier on a solid fastback body though.
I this it could be but not sure. this is the first time I have tried to do this.

You may need a helper like I have to do it! this is my Grandson and yes the car is his car...... he is 16 months old now, this pic was taken last summer. He lives here and loves to be in the shop with me!!!!

dec62010 025.JPG

I am not looking forward to this aspect of restoring my car one day. I'm sure it would be easier on a solid fastback body though.
I this it could be but not sure. this is the first time I have tried to do this.

You may need a helper like I have to do it! this is my Grandson and yes the car is his car...... he is 16 months old now, this pic was taken last summer. He lives here and loves to be in the shop with me!!!!
haha I have one of those little helpers too.

180015_10150099268227523_600367522_6331552_5942026_n.jpg

Aha - the paint thickness inspector! Everyone needs at least one or two of them around....:p

LOVE IT!!!!!!! The question is, is the car her's or your's??????/LOL

haha I have one of those little helpers too.

LOL, yes paint and all!!!!! but will not happen after the new paint job!!!!

update,

found out to level the car with the rocker edge to the jig. Then set up a datum line to check all measurements on the passenger side. set the car to the datum line specs and then level side to side. after leveling the car to the datum line the car will be attached to the jig.

So I have been trying to do this and found out the front end is twisted 3/8", back end looks good. I will let you know when the car is level and attached to the jig. and yes I am dreaming about measurements at night!!!! LOL
Doc,

It's ok, you can tell where all that info came from :whistling:

update,

Doc,

yep!!!! YOU!!!! thank you!!! Did I post it good for others wanting to do it???

update,

Doc,

yep!!!! YOU!!!! thank you!!! Did I post it good for others wanting to do it???
You got it Doc...Good job on the posting !

Update:

The car was set to the chart measurements, was able to get all but one spot( the idler arm point "C") it is 1/2" lower then Scott told me it should be(??? do not know why????). Welded the car to the jig ( mistake,but ratchet straps were not holding good), found the left side looks good top/bottom rocker, all door gaps yea!!!! But the right side is not!! top of rocker is level, the bottom rocker pinch seam in the back is 1/4" high and the bottom of the door in the back is 1/4" low. even the end gap shows it is off!!

So today is too cut it off the jig, make my attaching blocks adjustable (like I was going to do but did not) and figure out where the problem is.

Wish me luck

Correction..... the right side door end gap is only 1/16" off at the top( B= 3/16" T= 1/8") and the left side door is off by 1/8" at the top (B=3/16" T=1/16")

Last edited by a moderator:
Unclaimed the front point of the car ( this point was not welded) rechecked EVERY THING again. the frame looks level but the rockers are off. the best part that was making me go the most crazy is it looks like the doors were never set correct from the start. It looks like they were never moved. So I will go over it all again and then start the repair.

Thank you Scott for all the advice!!!

Back