72 vert vs 72 Mach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang 351 CJ w/ auto Q code convertible.
1971 Chevelle SS 454 4 speed
Hello, I have been looking for a decent project car as I had a 71 Mach 1 back in the day and want one again.

Now I am down to 2 potential projects - 1972 convertible outfitted as a Mach 1 would be, Q code, comp suspension, trac loc rear ,etc and the other is a 1972 Mach 1 fast back, also a q code.

Both need a restoration, which I am not afraid of as i do all my own work, paint included.

The convert is a little more money which is expected. I had a fastback before and was looking for one but the prospect of a convertible especially here in sunny florida is enticing.

Just looking for a general consensus on which might be more collectible, desired, etc.

Thanks 

And Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 72 Q code convertible is a rare car compared to the 72 Q code Mach 1. I think it comes down to personal preference. I always wanted a Mach 1 but ended up with a 1973 Q code convertible . It is always nice to have the option to drive with the top down, especially in Florida. I am not sure which would be more collectable. The Q code convertible is a rare car with only 330 produced with a c6 automatic.

.This convertible has some really nice options. You don’t see many with an urethane front bumper. The Mach 1 is popular because of the shape of the roof , name and movies... I personally would go for the convertible because of the rarity if you look at a possible collectible value in the long run.

I have both so some of my thoughts. 

You say you are in Florida so I would say you need AC on either that you purchase. Can of course be added but much easier if it came with AC.

If you have never owned a convertible keep in mind if you have the top down you are sitting in the sun. Yes sun glasses, hat etc. are needed and you will get baked. When I take my pups with me they get up under the dash in the shade, lol. 

The convertible will probably always be a better resale price than the Mach 1. You did not mention what they are selling for so I have no idea. 

I got a 72 Q code C-6 vert off Craigslist 4 years ago for $5,500 he had already spent $16,000 on it and was a failed build. Was back to rolling chassis, engine built and trans. built. Hope to have it running this coming summer. I am putting roll cage in it to make it legal to run on track days. 

I have my 73 Mach 1 and had both the Mach 1 and my 73 convertible at show side by side. The Mach 1 got more attention due to having the 41 options, 12,000 on it and also all original. The vert is original also but more beat up with 48,000. 

Your cost to restore will be about the same either way. No headliner in vert but a new top usually about $2,000 installed I am told. I put my own on. Way less surface area on the vert for paint also. Easier to work on interior with no roof also. 

If someone had 72, Mach 1 and vert sitting side by side both Q codes and was told to pick which one I wanted for free I would pick the vert. By far more rare and always will be.

In the end I went for the vert. I felt it was more what I was looking for option wise (it has AC) and I love having a vert as I had one before (not a stang tho). While I love the sleek look of the fastback, the vert was the same inside and outside colors of the one in my youth and felt it had more potential for enjoyment when I'm done with it.

I am sure you will get a Marti on the car but just a little info. You had said the vert was made up like a Mach 1. The NASA hood came on the vert when you got the Q code engine in 72 so that is original. Did not have hood locks unless you paid extra for locks and black out. The Mach 1 grill in the vert is also correct it came with the Decor Group. The lower black out is Decor Group and also added the Mach 1 Grill. It was same in 73 you got the Mach 1 grill with Decor Group. The side trim is available from time to time as repo. 71 & 72 are same 73 has a different piece on the front end of front fender. 

Your interior looks like CW, Comfort weave White. Last time I checked at SMS upholstery they were out of the comfort weave. Another member recently got a shipment of black Comfort weave and he said he had to wait for it to be made. So they must have found a loom somewhere which will be great news for Ford fans. 

You will find the vert much easier to work on the interior with the top off or down. Getting the dash out and back in is much easier. 

When you take the stainless trim off the windshield remove the inner header trim and there are 5 nuts, I think 3/8" that hold the trim on the upper part. You do have to remove the front fenders there is a washer head Phillips hidden down low on the side stainless. You will need some closed cell foam to go along the upper trim inside to stop water from coming in. 

You can buff the stainless and make it look new. Where the top rests on the upper sections it scuffs the surface and makes it dull. The inner trim has a matt nickel finish and probably needs some help.

Yes I plan on keeping it original except I will add Magnum wheels cuz I like the way they look. Possibly the side stripes and spoilers as well.

Thanks for the tips.

I am attaching the Marti report so you can see how it was made. It's missing the console but I will replace that.

Lets see if this is any better

Congrats on the convertible purchase. Very nice option load out and in the end, will be a great investment as it's about as perfectly equipped as one could ask for.

If you are going to try to build back to match the Marti the Sport Wheel Covers are probably the most difficult item to find that are really good. 

When looking for them pay attention to the fake lug bolts. Idiot tire changers would throw an impact wrench on them and twist them and brake them off. I have seen all 5 twisted on some. 

Also curb rash on the outer ring and it cannot be repaired since that area is a double wall. Center caps and emblems can be corroded and cracked. 

I went through 11 caps to get 4 decent ones and then went to Forged Aluminum on my 73 vert. When I was restoring them I went to NPD catalog to order the Argent paint and the paint for the outer edges. The Catalog said correct for wheel covers. I came and was a metallic charcoal like was used on the grill parts for 72. I went ahead and used it because show was in couple days. When NPD did there follow up survey I complained that the paint was wrong for the wheel covers and I got an email back from the manager. He did admit that the catalog was incorrect and offered to send me the correct black paint for free. I told him I had already painted them and not to send.

It takes many hours to hammer dents, steel wool the castings, tape up all the details and the outer area and spray. Way more time than polishing the factory aluminum wheels. 

The CW interior is not out there right now so save what you can. I actually ended up washing mine with lacquer thinner and tooth brush gave me the best results. You can get the white door panels but you have to swap all the trim over and they do not fit that great. 

Since you have the AM/FM you should have door speakers and finding good grills is sometimes difficult. The wire harness for the door speakers and the boots for the A pillar to door are hard to find in great shape. 

If you go looking at other original front seats be aware that the Convenience group had the automatic seat back releases and you cannot just unbolt and put on seat that did not come with them. Also the 71 is different on how the trim on the outside of the upper seat attaches. 

There are differences in how the seat tracks attach with the CG also. Has four little spacers for the wire harness to go through. The seat back release on manual is in the center and CG is on the outside of the back. 

Now to go looking for that build sheet. Hope you still have one. 

We have several of the 330 Q code C-6 verts on here now. Mine is Gold Glow with Black top. 

Take lots of pictures coming apart and tag and bag everything. Never toss anything thinking you are going to replace might not be out there. 

The pic is my 73 H code that came with the sport wheel covers. Not a good shot lost my close up pics and when I was doing restore. 

Yes I plan on keeping it original except I will add Magnum wheels cuz I like the way they look. Possibly the side stripes and spoilers as well.

Thanks for the tips.

I am attaching the Marti report so you can see how it was made. It's missing the console but I will replace that.

Well, 15-inch Magnums are OK for me - even if not original because they are so easy to change back to the original steel wheels with the sports wheel covers.  But side stripes on a non-sidestriped car I don't like.  It seems like everyone adds them.  Just another example of original appearing cars are becoming ultra rare these days and it is getting worse.  And I think rear spoilers on anything but a fastback (sportsroof) body just looks odd.  Front spoilers look ok on most.

Most on here know I am a purist at heart.  So take my comments with a grain of salt.   They are my opinions/preferences and will surely apply to my cars. You are obviously free to build yours as you wish.  

Good luck with your convertible build and feel free to contact me.  I noticed yours is a relatively early car.  Mine is a very late 72 production build and will have some differences. 

Ray

Not sure about the stripe or rear spoiler yet, like the way it looks without

I cannot quite read the Marti too fuzzy and small and I have brand new glasses, lol.

Will work something on console.
David, now that you finally got a Marti for your car... post it up

Back