73, 302 radiator and shroud info needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandmas73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Red conv 302
1961 Studebaker Hawk
Good evening all,

I could use a hand making sure I get myself the right parts for a radiator replacement.

I have an all stock 73 Mustang, 302 2v with auto trans and without a/c.  I currently have a leaking radiator, stamped p/n D3ZE NA 3EC.

Rough core dimensions...22"W x 17 3/4"H    overall... 27 3/4"W x 19 1/4"H  (I believe this is a 2 row/core radiator)

The shroud has FoMoCo D00E-8146-B cast into it.

The mounting brackets, top and bottom, are bolted to the inner nuts in the radiator support. (Can post pic if needed)

All of the radiators that I find for my car, that are said to be to ford spec, have larger dimensions than what I have installed. Most of the descriptions are like this...

"This 3-row radiator fits 302 w/ A/C or H/D cooling, 351, & 429.

Dimensions:

Core: 26" W x 18" H x 1-7/8" D

Overall: 32" W x 19"H x 3-3/8" D

1-1/2" passenger side upper inlet

1-1/2" driver side lower outlet."

The shrouds that I see for sale all seem to replace D1ZZ-8146.

The questions...

Will a replacement radiator, like in the example, fit by moving my brackets to the outer mounting holes?

If so, will my old shroud fit or do I need the one listed as replacing D1ZZ-8146?

Is there anything that I'm overlooking?  I may need a fan spacer, I have room between the core and blade but I don't know how the blade will sit in the new shroud.

Opinions on best place to get what I need for this job.  I am looking at NPD or West Coast Classic Cougar right now.

Thanks for listening, fortunately the leak is not so bad that I can't drive it locally, but I know that sooner is better.

Thanks,

Bryan

Good evening all,

I could use a hand making sure I get myself the right parts for a radiator replacement.

I have an all stock 73 Mustang, 302 2v with auto trans and without a/c.  I currently have a leaking radiator, stamped p/n D3ZE NA 3EC.

Rough core dimensions...22"W x 17 3/4"H    overall... 27 3/4"W x 19 1/4"H  (I believe this is a 2 row/core radiator)

The mounting brackets, top and bottom, are bolted to the inner nuts in the radiator support. (Can post pic if needed)

All of the radiators that I find for my car, that are said to be to ford spec, have larger dimensions than what I have installed. Most of the descriptions are like this...

Dimensions:

The questions...

Will a replacement radiator, like in the example, fit by moving my brackets to the outer mounting holes?

If so, will my old shroud fit or do I need the one listed as replacing D1ZZ-8146?

Is there anything that I'm overlooking?  I may need a fan spacer, I have room between the core and blade but I don't know how the blade will sit in the new shroud.

Opinions on best place to get what I need for this job.  I am looking at NPD or West Coast Classic Cougar right now.

Thanks for listening, fortunately the leak is not so bad that I can't drive it locally, but I know that sooner is better.

Thanks,

Bryan

You have the radiator that was only used on on the std cooling 250-6 and 302 engines. It's going to be hard to find one of those as a replacement, seems everything I looked at is the 26" core model for the HD, A/C & Extra cooling packages.  NPD has the 22", but they are $500.

Funny thing is, I have that exact radiator in my 71, came out of a 6 cyl '73 convertible I parted out. 

IMO, you are probably better off by springing for the larger radiator and new shroud. For the 26" radiator, you'll need to move the lower brackets, and the upper will be obvious when installed. Fan will clear the new shroud without issue. Might want to replace the upper and lower hoses while you're at it.

Good evening all,

Dimensions:

The questions...

Thanks,

Bryan

You have the radiator that was only used on on the std cooling 250-6 and 302 engines. It's going to be hard to find one of those as a replacement, seems everything I looked at is the 26" core model for the HD, A/C & Extra cooling packages.  NPD has the 22", but they are $500.

Funny thing is, I have that exact radiator in my 71, came out of a 6 cyl '73 convertible I parted out. 

IMO, you are probably better off by springing for the larger radiator and new shroud. For the 26" radiator, you'll need to move the lower brackets, and the upper will be obvious when installed. Fan will clear the new shroud without issue. Might want to replace the upper and lower hoses while you're at it.
Thanks , that's what I  thought . Bigger radiator not a bad thing.  But the confirmation on what I have and how to fit the new is just what i needed. Time to grab the check book :thankyouyellow:

Does anyone say checkbook any more ? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
GM,

I have a shroud from my 73 in NJ, if your interested that waqs for a 351C no air.

Let me know.....

Thanks, Jay
Thanks Jay,  I'll pick one up when I choose a radiator, I do appreciate it though.

All,

+1 with HemiKiller!  Here is an interesting radiator article-  Aluminum vs. Copper/ Brass: Article by US Radiator

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/content/aluminum-vs-copper-brass-article-us-radiator#.XLXue6R7lhE

Wow! They are not cheap!

http://www.usradiator.com/radiators?cat=1133

RockAuto - $139.00

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=271859&cc=1132984&jsn=552
WOW, that article really shed some light on cop V alum. 

Great links, bookmarked for sure. :thankyouyellow:

I have a 73 302ci no A/C car, it had the standard radiator. I installed a stock type replacements 3 row radiator for an A/C car (the wider radiator). I still was able to bolt up the standard shroud to it. It lined up with the fan just fine. The shroud did not fully cover the wider radiator but I had no cooling issues. Obviously, the wider A/C type shroud would do a better job channeling the air flow thru the radiator.

The A/C Shroud is part #: 1973 MUSTANG 302-351 FAN SHROUD AC D3ZE-8146-B

Here is a picture of the Non-A/C shroud on the larger radiator. Part 1970 -1973 MUSTANG 302-351 FAN SHROUD non-AC D0OE-8146-B

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm running a "champion" rad in my '73 non AC. but the rad is wider and for AC and i'm using the AC shroud too. 3 core alum. it was a plug and play exact fit. if u consider the champion i'd go to champion's web site to buy. alot of folks carry them but i'd rather deal with the manuf.

i did add a trans cooler last yr and not use the one of the rad's .

I have a  73 302ci no A/C car, it had the standard radiator. I  installed a stock type replacements 3 row radiator for an A/C car (the wider radiator). I still was able to bolt up the standard shroud to it. It lined up with the fan just fine. The shroud did not fully cover the wider radiator but I had no cooling issues. Obviously, the wider A/C type shroud would do a better job channeling the air flow thru the radiator.

The A/C Shroud is part #: 1973 MUSTANG 302-351 FAN SHROUD AC D3ZE-8146-B

Here is a picture of the Non-A/C shroud on the larger radiator.  Part 1970 -1973 MUSTANG 302-351 FAN SHROUD non-AC D0OE-8146-B

Nice, pictures worth a thousand words.  I'll hold off on the new shroud for now.

Back