73 Convertible "Zelda"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351C H-code. AOD swap in progress
2000 Harley Softail Standard
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd start a build thread, since I need to do some restoration on Zelda. The car right now: '73 convertible, red, white top & interior, 351C, Comp Cams 260H, Edelbrock Performer carb (freshly rebuilt last week), Hooker headers, dual exhaust, FMX, 1" drop in front, new stock height springs in rear, 2.79:1 gears in the rear end.

The plan:

AOD swap: have the transmission. That's it so far.

3.50:1 gears: have all the parts, just need to pull the third member (with the stock gears, I'd have to go 95 mph to use the overdrive)

Electronic ignition: leaning towards the Pertronix Ignitor III, any opinions?

Fixing the top motor: anyone rebuilt one before?

The driver's seat: Frame is cracked. Again. The stock seats suck. Anyone done the TMI Pro Series seats?

3-point seat belts for the rear

Painting the underbody, dash panels, and some other paint touch-up here and there

IMG_0646.JPG

Good plans  :thumb:  

For the Pertronix: better use the Pertronix I (Nr. 1281) which is more than enough in my opinion. I built them in several cars and never had a problem. On the Mustang it gets it's 12V source from a relay and built in by the delivered plans I never had a problem with my original tach and to less current. On the Pertronix III heard some that had trouble with them... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good plans  :thumb:  

For the Pertronix: better use the Pertronix I (Nr. 1281) which is more than enough in my opinion. I built them in several cars and never had a problem. On the Mustang it gets it's 12V source from a relay and built in by the delivered plans I never had a problem with my original tach and to less current. On the Pertronix III heard some that had trouble with them... 
Hello Tim,

Thanks for the input. The reason I wanted to go with the Pertronix Ignitor III is for the multi-spark functionality. It's like getting an MSD box with the ignition.

Jake

Back