73 Coupe Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stang3

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang base coupe, 302, ps.c4,a/c,p/b
Official start of the restoration today - pulled the seats and door sill plates. Found the build sheet but it was in a couple of pieces and if it was ever filled out the build is unreadable now.

[attachment=17321]

Driver's seat is bent. I had cut a small piece out of the vinyl to send to Cerrulo to see if they have a reasonably close match in cloth. The brown seems to be difficult as new cars have not used brown for a while. I have decided to get the original style vinyl from TMI and have ordered the SC seats.

[attachment=17323]

Having taken the back seats out, I found a little mouse sign. Not too bad for 29 years of storage however. I guess having a bull snake den under the shed helps rodent control ;).

[attachment=17322]

Hopefully, tomorrow will pull up the carpet and see if there is any damage underneath.

Ya! Another 73 coupe restore started. :D Will be watching your progress. I myself am doing a 73 coupe. Bad shop ordeal for me. Now doing metal and car, the help of this site, friends and hubby's help. Look forward to seeing your work.

Ya! Another 73 coupe restore started. :D Will be watching your progress. I myself am doing a 73 coupe. Bad shop ordeal for me. Now doing metal and car, the help of this site, friends and hubby's help. Look forward to seeing your work.
Thank you both for the support.

Continued cleaning and tear down.

SSCN1688.JPG

Found one rust hole in trunk. I understand, according to other project posts, that I am very fortunate in this regard.

SSCN1687.JPG

Started dash disassembly.

SSCN1686.JPG

Took gauge pod apart.

SSCN1685.JPG

Will be putting new gauges into pod upon assembly.

nvu-71201-03_xl.jpg

NVU-40122-03.jpg

Today, moved jack, spare tire and front seats to another location so that we could walk around the car. Tomorrow, back to work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet floor pans! I am so jealous over the great condition of your metal work. So much less work for you. Keep up the good work.

Any chance you are thinking of deleting the rear seat to save weight, and putting in a strengthing alum plate to stiffen the chassis and possibly a discrete chrome moly hoop behind the front seat ? Possibly a fiberglass front end ? Just asking...

Any chance you are thinking of deleting the rear seat to save weight, and putting in a strengthing alum plate to stiffen the chassis and possibly a discrete chrome moly hoop behind the front seat ? Possibly a fiberglass front end ? Just asking...
Probably just a rear plate behind the seat to put dynamat onto for noise reduction. This car is going to be a bona fide boulevard cruiser. Just going to make the car into what I wanted out of the car when I bought it. Sportier suspension, lowered with low profile, wider tires. Massaged engine, but still very streetable. Aftermarket seats, as the original seats were not very comfortable to me when I was 25. Better brakes and maybe a little shinier engine compartment. A little showier paint job and a delete on the vinyl roof. All in all, just your run of the mill little bag of dreams;).

By the way, thank you for all of the support. More pictures coming in a few days - taking the weekend off.

Willard White? Weren't you the guy in the James Bond movie with the mustang going down the alley on two wheels?:D

Attachments

• warranty.PDF
    193 KB · Views: 8
  • consumer.PDF
    224.2 KB · Views: 8
You picked the same gauges that I have, you're going to like them. I put LED (Blue) lights in mine. :rolleyes:

You picked the same gauges that I have, you're going to like them. I put LED (Blue) lights in mine. :rolleyes:
I haven't made that decision yet. Was thinking blue or maybe green. All I know is that whatever color I choose, I am getting to the age where the lights will need to be bright:exclamation:

I may have seen a picture of your gauges on this site and was stoked!

I had a tough time deciding between the white and another type, cannot even remember which now. After seeing the pictures on this site I was glad to have ordered white.

Continued tear down, found things not quite as good as original appearances would have indicated. Found rust on drivers side quarter, both on the outside

eomJuly teardown 013.JPG

and on the inside.

eomJuly teardown 012.JPG

Also found the grill had been repaired. Probably by the body shop that painted the car after I gave it to my dad for storage. Strange, but when pricing new grills the Mach 1 grill is cheaper.

eomJuly teardown 014.JPG

And, finally, the heater box door is gone. Evidently mice like to pee on the door.

eomJuly teardown 002.JPG

On the plus side of things, the roof under the vinyl looks pretty good.

eomJuly teardown 010.JPG

The gauges fit.

eomJuly teardown 006.JPG

The shock tower braces cleaned up nicely.

eomJuly teardown 004.JPG

The rear springs are installed.

eomJuly teardown 001.JPG

The axles came out - 28 spline.

eomJuly teardown 011.JPG

Next, we pull the center and install the Auburn.

eomJuly teardown 009.JPG

Taking a few days off, will post more later.

I'm likin' what you're doing to it! Should be one fine ride!

Back