73 Dash Pad replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikesro

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Grande Coupe 351C

[url=https://ibb.co/mzJQNrQ][img]https://i.ibb.co/NYxwTgw/Mustang-Jan2020.jpg[/img][/url]
I cannot figure out how to get the old Dash Pad out of my 73 Grande for replacement. 

I know there are 5 studs that hold the Pad in place but I cannot get to them. 

All the screws are out of the front and I pulled the center dash section. Access is a mutha!  

Any tips or tricks? Big Mike

View attachment 41481

The pad and top plate come out as a unit. If you can lift up the pad easily all the way across, just pull straight back, hard. It should pull right out. There are three spring clips that hold the front edge to the dash. There may also be a couple screws in the front, but IIRC that was the very early cars only.

You will need to remove the screws along the top underside of the dash. The 73 also has two more phillips screws just in front of the pad coming down from the top. As stated there are spring clips in the front. You lift up slightly and pull to the rear. I think you need to take the two end caps off also one metal one plastic.

I have mine out right now.

You will need to remove the screws along the top underside of the dash. The 73 also has two more phillips screws just in front of the pad coming down from the top. As stated there are spring clips in the front. You lift up slightly and pull to the rear. I think you need to take the two end caps off also one metal one plastic.

Yep, that is exactly how mine comes off, a little scary, the first time you remove yanking it backwards. But once you know what it feels like, it is a breeze.

ok, thank you. All the screws are out and the pad is loose and will raise up freely. End caps are also off. I was afraid to pull the whole thing out because I didn't want to bend or break anything.  I gave it some mild pull but it didn't move a bit.  I am almost positive it has never been removed in 46 years and it seems really stuck in there. Another guy said just lift and pull it straight back, HARD.  I'm worried someone has replaced the windshield at some point and got sloppy with the urethane glue. Now that can be holding the top plate in there extra tight.  I'm working up the courage to try it tomorrow. I hope it goes well. thanks.

Would it be the same process to remove the dashpad on my 71?

So once the dash pad is pulled out, and it sounds like it needs a pretty strong pull to accomplish this, how easy does it go back in?

Is it just a matter of lining it up with the spring clips and pushing it back in or does it go in as hard as it comes out?

Only reason I'm asking is that I am doing some work that involves the gauge cluster and was considering taking the dash pad off.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the fingers on the clips get bent down you need to bend back up. Best to have two people so you can tip the front of the dash up against the windshield and go in slowly. The tip it so the clips can get into the slots and put in until the clip. You will need to wiggle some to find the two screw holes in the top using a pick.

ok, thank you. All the screws are out and the pad is loose and will raise up freely. End caps are also off. I was afraid to pull the whole thing out because I didn't want to bend or break anything.  I gave it some mild pull but it didn't move a bit.  I am almost positive it has never been removed in 46 years and it seems really stuck in there. Another guy said just lift and pull it straight back, HARD.  I'm worried someone has replaced the windshield at some point and got sloppy with the urethane glue. Now that can be holding the top plate in there extra tight.  I'm working up the courage to try it tomorrow. I hope it goes well. thanks.
FOLLOW UP.  The Dash Pad and Top Metal are finally out. There are 2 phillips screws on the TOP of the dash just behind the front pad lip, those were missed. I thought the 2 screws mentioned were in the top of the Center Dash Bezel which also need to be removed. Didn't need a ton of pull force once ALL the screws were removed.  I will add some Pix when re-installed. Thanks to all.

FOLLOW UP.  The Dash Pad and Top Metal are finally out. There are 2 phillips screws on the TOP of the dash just behind the front pad lip, those were missed. I thought the 2 screws mentioned were in the top of the Center Dash Bezel which also need to be removed. Didn't need a ton of pull force once ALL the screws were removed.  I will add some Pix when re-installed. Thanks to all.

Here's the old girl just grinnin' in the driveway! She finally gave up the fight on that hammered dash pad and she knows the new "dress" is coming soon! :)

Some dash panels have those two screws and some don't. I assume they added the screws to eliminate rattles.

Back