73 Emergency Flasher Location ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
Hi all,

I know this has to have been discussed before, and did a quick search, but couldn't find the info on the exact location for the emergency flasher. I know the regular turn signal flasher is behind/above the glove box cardboard liner, but where is the emergency flasher located ?

thanks

Found them both. When I removed the glove box there was one just dangling on the left side,,, picture shows location, but I had already removed it before taking the pic.

P1010020.jpg

This turned out to be the Emergency Flasher.

I had to turn on the turn signals in order to find that one. I had to remove a metal cover above the glove box to get to it. It was clipped into a holder top right above the opening. Here it is after i figured out that it just snaps in an/out.

P1010019.jpg

I installed electronic flashers and LED bulbs all around...  They ALMOST work........here are the issues.

1. When I turn the parking lights or headlights on (knob out half way and all the way... The turn signal indicators in the dash come on...They do flash correctly when the turn signals are activated, but they do not go out unless I push the light knob all the way in Then everything works as it should.

2. When I have the parking lights or headlights on, the lights in the rear quarter panels both flash if either turn signal is activated.. This does not happen when the lights are off.

Any advice would be appreciated ?  But I can't think of anything that can be done, except to go back to the old bulbs/flasher or try a different model of electronic flasher.

Found them both. When I removed the glove box there was one just dangling on the left side,,, picture shows location, but I had already removed it before taking the pic.

P1010020.jpg

This turned out to be the Emergency Flasher.

I had to turn on the turn signals in order to find that one. I had to remove a metal cover above the glove box to get to it. It was clipped into a holder top right above the opening. Here it is after i figured out that it just snaps in an/out.

P1010019.jpg

I installed electronic flashers and LED bulbs all around...  They ALMOST work........here are the issues.

1. When I turn the parking lights or headlights on (knob out half way and all the way... The turn signal indicators in the dash come on...They do flash correctly when the turn signals are activated, but they do not go out unless I push the light knob all the way in Then everything works as it should.

2. When I have the parking lights or headlights on, the lights in the rear quarter panels both flash if either turn signal is activated.. This does not happen when the lights are off.

Any advice would be appreciated ?  But I can't think of anything that can be done, except to go back to the old bulbs/flasher or try a different model of electronic flasher.
Sounds strange. I would try isolating the problem. First by putting the stock bulbs back in the front and rear turn signal sockets and see if that clears up the problem. I am guessing based on the understanding that there is some kind of 12v back feed from the parking light (brown) wire thru the led bulb to the diectional wires (RH white/blue and LH green/white).

My guess is that you have a grounding issue on the rear lights, and you're getting feedback through the flasher circuit while the electrons are seeking a ground, illuminating the turn signal indicators on the way to a ground.

Grounding problems can create all kinds of weird issues, as the electrons follow paths of least resistance.

I spent couple hours trying to trouble shoot this. I did continuity check on all of the light sockets and they were all 0 ohms to the frame. I have a couple solid grounds from the battery to the frame. So it didn't appear to be a grounding issue. But who knows.

What I did find is that the flasher needs to see a load when the parking lights or headlights are turned on. I installed the original incandescent bulbs up front and everything works fine. So I am going to just leave well enough alone for now and reconnoiter for awhile. 

I did have some clicking noises in the flasher that I traced the cause back to the 2 connectors by the steering column. If I wiggled or twisted them I could get the clicking to change, or kind of stop, but not for long. It appeared that there was some cross talk between the wires, I guess because of corrosion. I tried to clean these but it seemed hopeless,  so .............

I always have been one of those PREVIOUS OWNERS that hacked up the wiring.......so why stop now......

I cut off the factory connectors and used individual connectors for each wire.... Now there is no chance of any circuit not being isolated.... Clicking is gone.

P1010022.jpg

PB020025.jpg

PB030026.jpg

PB030028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed leds for on a F150 I had a few years ago and got some weird symptoms with the flashers, ended up having to install a EP-27 flasher module instead of the stock one and everything worked well after that. Good luck.

Tom

Sounds like you isolated the issue to the front LED bulbs. Flashers normally make a clicking sound as the circuit switches ON and OFF.

They make electronic flasher modules that are more sensitive to voltage draws when using all LEDs or a combination of both.

I spent couple hours trying to trouble shoot this. I did continuity check on all of the light sockets and they were all 0 ohms to the frame. I have a couple solid grounds from the battery to the frame. So it didn't appear to be a grounding issue. But who knows.

What I did find is that the flasher needs to see a load when the parking lights or headlights are turned on. I installed the original incandescent bulbs up front and everything works fine. So I am going to just leave well enough alone for now and reconnoiter for awhile. 

I did have some clicking noises in the flasher that I traced the cause back to the 2 connectors by the steering column. If I wiggled or twisted them I could get the clicking to change, or kind of stop, but not for long. It appeared that there was some cross talk between the wires, I guess because of corrosion. I tried to clean these but it seemed hopeless,  so .............

I always have been one of those PREVIOUS OWNERS that hacked up the wiring.......so why stop now......

I cut off the factory connectors and used individual connectors for each wire.... Now there is no chance of any circuit not being isolated.... Clicking is gone.

P1010022.jpg

PB020025.jpg

PB030026.jpg

PB030028.jpg
mudbilly, you've got a helluva what seems to be spaghetti mess. If I were you I would take the harness out of the car completely and send it to midlife for refurbishment. I had mine done by Randy and I have no issues whatsoever. It's worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back