73 H Code Convertible Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
I just picked up this 73 Ivy Glow Mustang convertible. It's an H code 351C-2V with an FMX transmission. It still has all of its pollution control stuff attached. Not much in the way of options except full console and tilt wheel. It's a DSO 74 (Seattle) car that was moved to New Mexico in 2002 and has been in storage there since 2010. 66,800 documented miles. I'm the third owner from what I can tell in all of the documentation provided with the car. It's a rust free car thankfully. It has a lousy repaint that was done 20 years ago and cost $800 (I have the receipt, ugh...). It needs some TLC that I will be providing over the next several years. It does run and drive right now. I'll be adding to this thread as I bring it back around. My plan is to stay nearly all original. Marti report is coming soon.

Attachments

• Vert Rear Drivers Side.jpeg
    Vert Rear Drivers Side.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Vert Front Seat.jpeg
    Vert Front Seat.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Vert Passenger Seat.jpeg
    Vert Passenger Seat.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Vert Engine Compartment.jpeg
    Vert Engine Compartment.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Vert Buck Tag.jpeg
    Vert Buck Tag.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Vert Build Sheet.jpeg
    Vert Build Sheet.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Vert Rear Seat.jpeg
    Vert Rear Seat.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Vert Drivers Side.jpeg
    Vert Drivers Side.jpeg
My first 1973 Mach 1 was Ivy Glow with the same interior as your new convertible. From the pictures the car looks solid and very complete. I am looking forward to following your project as you go thru the car, definitely a great pick up. Man I love that color!!

What’s the first item on the agenda?

My first 1973 Mach 1 was Ivy Glow with the same interior as your new convertible. From the pictures the car looks solid and very complete. I am looking forward to following your project as you go thru the car, definitely a great pick up. Man I love that color!!

What’s the first item on the agenda?
I think the first thing is to sort out some electrical issues. When I turn on the right blinker, both rear tail lights flash. None of the side marker lights work. The blower motor only works on medium speed - probably a resistor issue there. After that, I will go through all of the vacuum lines. It has all of its emission control gear still attached so there are vacuum lines everywhere. A lot of those lines are dry and cracked. Then a good cleaning. Hoping to have the Marti report on it tomorrow.

I spent the afternoon today cleaning the car, re-installed the wheel lip moldings that were missing, and adding some 73 Mustang aluminum wheels that I had in storage. Now it’s on to the electrical gremlins.

Attachments

• 2A164188-3E1F-494E-9813-D02321C34841.jpeg
    2A164188-3E1F-494E-9813-D02321C34841.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Today was steering wheel change day. For some unknown reason, the previous owner had installed a dark green steering wheel in this avocado interior car. A total mismatch. Also, the dark green wheel was mostly cracks and ready to fall apart. The horn was also inoperative. Thanks to forum member RIBS, I got a proper avocado replacement wheel that was in much better shape. It turns out that the horn didn’t work because it was disconnected under the pad. Easy enough! Here’s a before and after.:

Attachments

• A1340933-46D6-4698-9C49-AB14A6364F9A.jpeg
    A1340933-46D6-4698-9C49-AB14A6364F9A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • CB170989-A51B-4473-A986-AB70001F4C67.jpeg
    CB170989-A51B-4473-A986-AB70001F4C67.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Even though my convertible runs ok, I could smell that pungent odor of bad gas near the carb. This car theoretically has a new gas tank and fuel pump. Despite that, I decided to open up the 2100 2V for a look-see. The fuel bowl had a layer of rust particles about 1/4” deep on the bottom. The fuel filter had nearly 100% blockage. I don’t know how this car was running. The whole carb comes off tomorrow for a deep clean. I also found misrouted vacuum lines, lines that had been plugged with bolts, and others that were split from age. Do people really think that sticking a bolt in a vacuum line provides a seal? It’s nearly the same as leaving it open to the atmosphere. Here’s a shot of the fuel bowl.

Attachments

• 415C43BF-A3F6-4D93-9BE0-30803056C779.jpeg
    415C43BF-A3F6-4D93-9BE0-30803056C779.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
After a carb rebuild and all new fuel and vacuum lines, I took the convertible out for its first real drive since 2002. It ran great and the suspension was surprisingly very tight after all these years. I’m going to need a new windshield and a new dash pad but for now it’s a great driver

Attachments

• IMG_5759.mov
    44.6 MB
I decided to dye my steering wheel pad today using a 1973 medium avocado colored dye. After a deep cleaning and a dye job, the sun bleached faded steering wheel pad came out like new. I will be trying my luck with a new dash pad next. The one I have is dried up and cracked. Also dyed the console clock bezel. This dye is nearly identical in color to original. I was surprised.

Attachments

• IMG_6408.jpeg
    IMG_6408.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6412.jpeg
    IMG_6412.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6399.jpeg
    IMG_6399.jpeg
I took the convertible out for a 22 mile cruise including some freeway driving for the first time. 70 MPH with the top down and it was very smooth. What a difference in ride from the Mach 1. You can definitely tell the convertible has a softer suspension but it is also kind of nice. New dash pad is next on the list for this car. I will be dyeing a black one to avocado. That ought to be fun...

Attachments

• 73Conv Sep 1.jpg
    73Conv Sep 1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful job on your steering wheel and console bezel. I have the same interior and would love to know where to get the dye you used.
I used the medium avocado dye being sold by Topflight Automotive. It was the only place that actually had it in stock and ready to ship. I’m not exactly sure who makes it as it looks like it’s been relabeled several times. A lot of my avocado interior parts had faded into many different colors over 50 years. I’m slowly working on getting things back to normal. The secret with the dye is to clean your parts really well. Silicone or wax or dirt on your parts will prevent the dye from working. This was my first experience with dye and I have been very happy with the results. Here’s a photo of what I used.

Attachments

• IMG_6370.png
    IMG_6370.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
My convertible did not come with the instrumentation group. I really wanted a tach and gauges. I had a dash clock that I pulled from a 71 Mustang back in 1981. I sent it to the Rocketman at RCCInnovations and had it converted to a tach. I obtained the gauges, center gauge bezel, and sending units. Rocketman also converted my ammeter to a much safer voltmeter. Thanks Bob! It was going to be a winter project for my convertible but I couldn’t wait! I dyed my center gauge bezel to match my interior. I got everything installed and wired yesterday. It all checked out ok and came out really nice. New LED lights all around. A new dash pad is in work and will be installed next week.
Before and after photos:

Attachments

• IMG_6465.png
    IMG_6465.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6463.png
    IMG_6463.png
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6467.jpeg
    IMG_6467.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Back