73 Mach 1 - I smell scam

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
IMO be very careful with this one.

1) The dealer is in Canada

2) The car is on Long Island NY

3) Dealer joined ebay Oct 13

3) Previously sold 2 cars to same buyer. 1 car was in Manitoba, Canada and the other car was in Canton, Ohio.

4) Both sales happened within 2 secords of each other.

IMO..it's a duck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Mach1-1973-ford-mustang-mach-1-shelby-true-american-muscle-car-collector-car-/161193611036?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2587e34f1c&item=161193611036&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Its a Shelby 'cause the Valve Covers say so, I guess...

Well it's not a Shelby. The only Shelby in our body style were the Mexican Shelby's of 1971. I'd say he wishes to play on the uninformed.
Unfortunately you´re only partially right here. There were "Shelby Europa" models sold in Europe only. They were licensed by Shelby but not by Ford and converted in Europe by a certain Mr Dubois.

** Wise ass mode off**

:)

By the way, I love how many details he provides...not.

He should have simply written:" Here it is, buy it!"

Not inducing much confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riddle me this.

This is a response I got back from the seller.

"We are a Dealer/Wholesaler located in Canada.

This vehicle is located in a dealer only auction in USA and you can not go see the car , However you can request third party inspection.

All this vehicles are only available through ebay.

Thanks"

He did admit he was in Canada, but how could this be a dealer only auction and yet anyone can do a BIN on ebay? Plus I can't see it but a 3rd party inspection can?

...and you can not go see the car ...
That is the greatest turn off of all times. At least you´d think he´d come up with a valid excuse, something like "unfortunately there is no possibility to see the car as .... (insert ´circumstance beyond my control´ here)" or something like this.

But this is simply "F--- you! Gimme your money and leave me alone!"

If you try to screw someone you should at least make it look halfway serious.

I´d like to slap this guy both for his scam and his stupidity!

Riddle me this.

This is a response I got back from the seller.

"...you can not go see the car , However you can request third party inspection...
If you can't see the car why would he allow a third party to see it? It only means one thing, the third party is him or someone he selects who will bill you, sounds like a double scam to me. This one should be reported to Ebay as a suspicious posting.

I had a few minutes on break this morning and called, told me he is an auto wholesalers. I was thinking at first that he had a line on a car that he could get cheaply and figured he could make a few bucks off of it since it's a "Shelby" but when I asked him about a 73 Shelby he said did you decode the vin.....

Anyway this ebay listing smells......

It is an H code, but has 4V stickers on the air cleaner. Looks to have ram air plenum (can see the vacuum hose) but the air cleaner isn't right. Duraspark ignition control module.

Nice looking car, b ut strange scenario for sure.

as i said-have to see in person and sounds like a wheelin dealin so seeing it in person w/a mechanic that knows his mustang and seller giving all that extra lip service should negotiate a couple grand less right off the proverbial bat. Then even before wasting your and mechanic s time in the inspection look closely at previous repair receipts owners garages worked on it.where and when last inspection or...walk away from it.

I agree with everyone, it looks like a scam. My reservation, ignoring the car and the photos, is the payment expectation. We accept cash (untraceable) and cashier's check (also untraceable) - how about you take an escrow payment like most high value sellers do for automobiles, houses, etc.? That way both parties receive what they are promised.

RUN AWAY!! It looks too good to be true and that's all I got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Mach1-1973-ford-mustang-mach-1-shelby-true-american-muscle-car-collector-car-/161193611036?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2587e34f1c&item=161193611036&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Back