73 Mach 1: New Fuel System with Firing/Idling Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought but that gasket on the top side looks like it is not compressed and could be causing an air leak under the carby and causing some of the issues you have.

David

Just a thought but that gasket on the top side looks like it is not compressed and could be causing an air leak under the carby and causing some of the issues you have.

David
That's what I thought when I saw the gasket. 

OP, be sure to get a gasket that seals well, as some of the generic Holley types won't seal the perimeter of the base plate casting. The 4300 has vacuum passages cast into the base plate, which will cause a high idle situation if they are drawing outside air. You'll also want to check the base plate with a straightedge to ensure it is flat and not bent/warped from over tightening. 

I’ve run out of time working on the engine for now, I work 3 and 3 rotations as a geologist in northern Canada so I’m thinking it might be best to invest in a new manifold/carb that hasn’t been fiddled with as much by the previous owner. I’ll check out that carb Don linked and if there’s anything else you guys think I should replace, feel free to let me know! Really appreciate all of the help 

I used a Holley Brawler Carby. No adjustment was needed for idle, choke, etc. Also has sight glasses for float levels. Works extremely well on the 4V through full throttle range.

Back