'73 Mach 1 Transmission Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feerat13

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I was searching through the old posts and not sure i saw this question, i apologize if I missed something.  I have a 1973 Mach 1 with an automatic transmission.  Yesterday I decided to fire her up and take her for a spin, i put her in reverse and halfway down the driveway she was no longer engaged in reverse and the engine just rev'd like i was in neutral.  I can move the shifter in R/D/1/2 but she doesn't engage.

Up until yesterday I had no problems with the transmission - shifting smoothly.  There was no grinding or any sound what-so-ever, just stopped.

I checked the fluid level and it looks good.

I am a relative novice, but, any advice I what to look for?  I could tow it to a transmission shop, but, thought i would try to check a few things myself.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you check it with the engine idling and the transmission in park and the car on a level surface?

When the transmission is cold the fluid level should be 1/2", or so, below the full line.

It sounds like when you started backing down the driveway the angle changed and the fluid was too low for it to be picked up and circulated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great points - i did not.  After i was able to push it back into the garage, I checked it cold (i know you are supposed to check it hot) to get an idea of where it was at.  It was below the "add" which i figured was normal.

I think i will try to run it and then try to put in gear.

Thank you

Great points - i did not.  After i was able to push it back into the garage, I checked it cold (i know you are supposed to check it hot) to get an idea of where it was at.  It was below the "add" which i figured was normal.

I think i will try to run it and then try to put in gear.

Thank you
Was the engine running when you checked it, and transmission in park?

Nothing wrong with checking it when it is cold, you just can't get an accurate measurement. But, you need to have more than just a drop on the end of the dipstick.

i think that was it!  I just started the car and ran it for a while to get to operating temp and the gears engage.  I didn't drive it down the driveway, since everyone in the neighborhood is at work and i would need help pushing - but - in the garage it would go forward and reverse.

Thank you all

Back