73 mach one taillight panel installation

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

1st73mach

Reaction score
Hi guys, i just got a 73 mach one, im currently assembling the rear of the car. I need to figure out how to put in the panel where the gas filler and taillights go. Do i need to weld it in or is it supposed to bolt on? Any suggestions or pictures anyone has would help me out and be greatly appreciated. I cant find tutorials or videos anywhere. 

Fabrice

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
Welded in. Multiple build threads cover the replacement.

kcmash

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
My advice.  Be sure to drill all the holes needed for the Honeycomb panel and trim  before finishing.  My car and a few others got painted without those holes being drilled.

Additionally, I have found that the lower end of the repopulate taillight panels has a series of holes across the bottom.  Those holes are exclusive for the 73 rear bumper filler panel and are not used on 71 or 72.  I thought they were mounting holes for the rear valance, but they are not.  It is good to weld those up when installing the panel if you are not working on a 73.

kcmash

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
... and before you weld in the panel, test fit the taillights to ensure the brackets are welded on properly and the fasteners line up...