73 Mach1 Back Again With Pics/Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikhead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
Back again! With pictures this time! Many of you recommended the Marti report which I have order. So here is what we know:

1973 Mach1

Dearborn

351 C 2v V8 (Oirg.)

EDIT:

Currently has a edelbrock Performer 351 2v intake and edelbrock 4v carburetor

What he's wanting to know is:

1. In the pictures provided, there is an Edelbrock intake as well as carburetor. He assuming that they are not original of course and is wondering if those would affect the value. He's trying to keep it original as possible, and or period correct parts and options.

2. There is the 351 C with a 2v, which is the one I think we have, and then the 4v Cobra jet. Would it hurt the value the put the 4v on instead of the 2v, even though it's not the original valve?

EDIT: Currently has a 4v Intake/Carb

3. What exactly is a "Ram Air"?!?!? Is it talking about the hood, or is it components actually on the engine?

EDIT: Found out what it is!

So he's trying to make it original like I said earlier, however, if adding on things here and there that make the engine a bit more beefier that are 73 options that the Mach 1's had, would that hurt the overall value?

I unfortunately know nothing mechanical related, but love classic cars. So I apologize if some of these questions are a tad dumb.

1N5A4751.jpgView attachment 1N5A4746.jpgView attachment 1N5A4748.jpgView attachment 1N5A4750.jpgView attachment 1N5A4742.jpgView attachment 1N5A4743.jpg

View attachment 1N5A4754.jpgView attachment 1N5A4755.jpgView attachment 1N5A4760.jpg

IMG_1366.jpgIMG_1367.jpgIMG_1368.jpgIMG_1369.jpgIMG_1370.jpgIMG_1371.jpgIMG_1372.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_1376.jpgIMG_1378.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back again! With pictures this time! Many of you recommended the Marti report which is what I was going to get, but the information on it my Dad had already found. So here is what we know:

1973 Mach1

Dearborn

351 C 2v V8

1. In the pictures provided, there is an Edelbrock intake as well as carburetor. He assuming that they are not original of course and is wondering if those would affect the value. He's trying to keep it original as possible, and or period correct parts and options.

2. The letter "H" indicates that it's a 351 ci 2v. Does that mean 2 barrel? Or what does the 2v/4v mean. There is the 351 C with a 2v, which is the one I think we have, and then the 4v Cobra jet. Would it hurt the value the put the 4v on instead of the 2v, even though it's not the original valve?

3. What exactly is a "Ram Air"?!?!? Is it talking about the hood, or is it components actually on the engine?

So he's trying to make it original like I said earlier, however, if adding on things here and there that make the engine a bit more beefier that are 73 options that the Mach 1's had, would that hurt the overall value?

I unfortunately know nothing mechanical related, but love classic cars. So I apologize if some of these questions are a tad dumb.
Wouldnt hurt the value too much changing heads out..counts if you plan to win shows or not.....If those are the original...Check on the front of the heads and see if its stamped 2 or 4........wouldnt hurt the value too much either having that top end.....Marti report could tell you if it happend to have ram air stock on it too.....You can still pick up the original mainfold for 2v and carb if you need it.

And she has power windows like mine... And well option out..notice the full consle and tack..full gage set up....You could have a 1 of 1 on your hands..or close too it....my car with power windows on the full break down report on marti...made it one of 4 made...Yours looks well optioned..I would really really get one...then you know what your car had so incase its worth taking back all original...Cause even power windows can be faked in...and with out the report..Its hard to prove sometimes.

My break down report..

Intake, carb, rocker covers, coil have been changed

I would leave them on unless he wants to go back to the 2 barrel set up to be show correct.

2V vs 4 V is

H code car is a 2V - 2 barrel carb

Q code is a 4V = 4 barrel carb in 72 and 3 also called a cobra jet

Seats have been modified

steering wheel changed

A/C stuff missing

Looks like a nice car

I have

new seat material

new door panels

front fender extension

Lots of used original parts too

Would have the 2 V intake - probably carb too

A/c stuff

I wouldn't get caught up in the 1 of 1 stuff

The way Marti breaks them down a lot are 1 of 1

Go to my web site and look at the ram air - that would be the easier that trying to describe it

Don

Back again! With pictures this time! Many of you recommended the Marti report which is what I was going to get, but the information on it my Dad had already found. So here is what we know:

1973 Mach1

Dearborn

351 C 2v V8

2. The letter "H" indicates that it's a 351 ci 2v. Does that mean 2 barrel? Or what does the 2v/4v mean. There is the 351 C with a 2v, which is the one I think we have, and then the 4v Cobra jet. Would it hurt the value the put the 4v on instead of the 2v, even though it's not the original valve?

Wouldnt hurt the value too much changing heads out..counts if you plan to win shows or not.....If those are the original...Check on the front of the heads and see if its stamped 2 or 4........wouldnt hurt the value too much either having that top end.....Marti report could tell you if it happend to have ram air stock on it too.....You can still pick up the original mainfold for 2v and carb if you need it.

And she has power windows like mine... And well option out..notice the full consle and tack..full gage set up....You could have a 1 of 1 on your hands..or close too it....my car with power windows on the full break down report on marti...made it one of 4 made...Yours looks well optioned..I would really really get one...then you know what your car had so incase its worth taking back all original...Cause even power windows can be faked in...and with out the report..Its hard to prove sometimes.

My break down report..
Thanks for posting, I'll have to just get the Marti report myself, so like your saying you know exactly what it had.

Intake, carb, rocker covers, coil have been changed

I would leave them on unless he wants to go back to the 2 barrel set up to be show correct.

2V vs 4 V is

H code car is a 2V - 2 barrel carb

Q code is a 4V = 4 barrel carb in 72 and 3 also called a cobra jet

Seats have been modified

steering wheel changed

A/C stuff missing

Looks like a nice car

I have

new seat material

new door panels

front fender extension

Lots of used original parts too

Would have the 2 V intake - probably carb too

A/c stuff

Go to my web site and look at the ram air - that would be the easier that trying to describe it

Don
I'm not sure if he's looking for show quality. It's supposed to be "mine" haha but of course Dad's and classic cars, what can you do. I think I was actually just on your site, my Dad gave me a bunch of sites to go to for catalogs as well as parts. You obviously can tell a lot just from the picture. We have the original steering wheel, as well as I know the rims have been changed, and mirrors. If he doesn't leave the non original parts that are currently on there, would your recommend the 2v or 4v?

Don
That is true...But its nice to know what is in your car..And if it was special ordered or ?...and how many made like it..Right now...It doesnt make them worth much more..10 or 20 years down the road? Mite make a big dif..But it is nice to know the history..What it came with the car or stuck on...Heck with these old cars..You never know if the electric doors are pulled off some other mach 1 along the way..And electric windows as we know are a pain in the arse!! ..lol

Don
That is true...But its nice to know what is in your car..And if it was special ordered or ?...and how many made like it..Right now...It doesnt make them worth much more..10 or 20 years down the road? Mite make a big dif..But it is nice to know the history..What it came with the car or stuck on...Heck with these old cars..You never know if the electric doors are pulled off some other mach 1 along the way..And electric windows as we know are a pain in the arse!! ..lol
I think I'll get it, so I can know the options like your saying, and after finding out exactly what it had, determine if it needs to be super duper show quality, or a nice restoration.

I also just added two pictures of the mirrors that I forgot to upload, we figure they are not orig. because the holes don't line up.

ya..Looks like some one replaced the sport mirrors ..With mirrors that look realy close...They almost look like mustang II mirrors...Don mite know for sure.

ya..Looks like some one replaced the sport mirrors ..With mirrors that look realy close...They almost look like mustang II mirrors...Im Don mite know for sure.
Thanks!

Ok, so found a ram air system set up and it NOW finally makes sense! My new question that my Dad and I have is, were of course missing metal shroud housing and air filter, but if we got an original 2v or 4v intake/carburetor set up, does the ram air fit both the 2v and 4v?

1973_00008_04.jpg

Ran air will fit either

I have a kit for 529.95

I would leave the 4 V on it

Mirrors are a generic aftermarket part

Sport mirrors will cover those holes

I have some original 73 aluminum rims too

Ran air will fit either

I have a kit for 529.95

Sounds good! I know he wants to put the ram air on either way. I will let him know! You have a lot of great parts on your site that a lot of others don't.

The Ram Air on a 73 was only optioned on the 2V engines due to EPA restrictions. Sounds to me like it may have been an original Ram Air 2V car that was probably parted out over the years due to its value. As stated before only a Marti or Eminger will tell what you started with from the factory.

1st their are no such thing as dumb questions here. I would leave the intake and carb on. It won't hurt the value of the car.

From your pics I don't see a 4 dot or 2 dot on the left head.

The Ram Air on a 73 was only optioned on the 2V engines due to EPA restrictions. Sounds to me like it may have been an original Ram Air 2V car that was probably parted out over the years due to its value. As stated before only a Marti or Eminger will tell what you started with from the factory.
Ah ok! I did order a Marti report because it's now down to what was it when it left the dealership originally. So we will have to see and when I get it I'll defiantly post it!

1st their are no such thing as dumb questions here. I would leave the intake and carb on. It won't hurt the value of the car.

From your pics I don't see a 4 dot or 2 dot on the left head.
Well I think they're propably a tad dumb! :p I think he's now considering leaving the intake/carb on because the engine is in good working condition, it just needs some seals and new tubes here and there.

Also, what do you mean by the 4/2 dot?

If you look at the front top of the head nearest the intake it will have a "2" or a "4." stamped on it. That is the difference between the 2 and 4V heads identification.

If you look at the front top of the head nearest the intake it will have a "2" or a "4." stamped on it. That is the difference between the 2 and 4V heads identification.
Oh, yes. we couldn't find a stamp either sense there not orig,, so looking down through the carb it had 4 barrels, so we figured the intake would have to be a 4v as well.

On the Edelbrock intake behind the carb does it say Performer 2V or 4V? See pic below. You will see the 4. on the top corners of the heads. Their should be a 4. or 2.,if not they could be 400 heads.

4V heads 001.jpg

On the Edelbrock intake behind the carb does it say Performer 2V or 4V? See pic below. You will see the 4. on the top corners of the heads. Their should be a 4. or 2.,if not they could be 400 heads.
I will have to check! Thank you for the pic!

Ran air will fit either

I have a kit for 529.95

Sounds good! I know he wants to put the ram air on either way. I will let him know! You have a lot of great parts on your site that a lot of others don't.
What is shown on the website is the tip of the iceberg. If you don't see it there just call him. He probably has it or can get it. He has a wealth of knowledge about these cars and can help guide you and keep you from making expensive mistakes.

Back