73 mach1 built in Mexico

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrb104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 made in Mexico
Does anyone know where I can get a build sheet or any info on my Mach 1 that was built in Mexico?

Replacement by VIN build sheets is not available for U.S.-built Mustangs. Those were considered internal documents and were not part of the invoicing side of Ford. So it becomes even more of a problem with Mexican-built vehicles. Unless you can verify with another Mexican Mustang owner, there are no accurate ways to ascertain what type of system the Ford La Vila plant used or if they even used build sheets similar to U.S.-built cars. Marti reports will also not be available on any Mexican-built Mustang as these were "Knock Down" kits. Meaning incomplete vehicle shells with no powertrain and did not have a Vin. The Marti reports are derived from info on the Ford invoice (AKA Lois Eminger). The invoice contained retail and dealer cost of the base price, options, freight, and other accounting numbers the dealer needed for their accounting system. Since these "Shells" were not built as a complete vehicle in the U.S. and were assigned a Vin when completed in Mexico, they are not in the Ford U.S. database.
Mexico had some robust content laws on the percentage of Mexican supplied components of vehicles manufactured there.
The engine, transmission, and differential were manufactured and supplied to the Ford La Villa plant from local Mexican manufacturing plants. The 351W engine and transmissions were Mexican-built, but the differential was a Dana unit since Ford did not manufacture 8 or 9" differentials in Mexico. None of these particular Mexican-built engine/drivetrain components were used in any U.S.-built 71-3 Mustang, so none of the codes would be the same as used here.
Others here may have more detailed info on these cars. I have some limited Vin and component info but not much else. I have tried for years to obtain some Mexican parts manuals on these cars but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks for the info. I have decoded the VIN and got that info. Has a 351W ,top load 4 speed and Dana 44 rear. All parts have hecho en mexico stamped on them. would really like to know if serial numbers are original parts

Back