73 Motor mounts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone checked out the motor mount for a 72-76 Torino, 302/351? Here is a picture I copied from Rock Auto (which has these in stock):

77E91904-4FAC-4D10-888A-BE2765ED6B78.jpeg

Looks just like the 73 mount that no one makes? I also see they’re available from the local Autozone. I may go buy one just to compare it.

Is this a, “we’ve already done that thing?” Just asking.

I'm using them on my 73 as a temporary fix for a damaged stock one. They work but are binding a bit and one of the mounts has the engine block hole drilled in the wrong location as a manufacturing defect. Use as a last resort.

I noticed the same thing. The new ones engine mount holes were too far apart compared to the OEM mount I have. But, I did measure the attached dimensions and discovered the attaching point for the crossmember was within .100” of the stock, and the only issue was the opening where it attaches was .215” larger that the stock. So, assuming the engine attachment dimension is a defect of the new part, with a reasonable shim, you could use these mounts and have that .215” of adjustment, if that would aid someone’s install.

Since I found the same defect, I wonder how many “suppliers” have this same produced part (I’m assuming a china part, but it didn’t say), because when I notified the supplier of the fit issue, they issued my refund before receiving the part and inspecting it; I was suppose to wait for their inspection, but I didn’t have to.

But, the price cannot be beat versus the cost of Remanufacturing the stock piece. With only one company doing that, they can charge whatever they want. I think I’m going to try and find other sources to see if this is a chronic issue with a stock of defective parts or just a few bad luck parts. For my swap, I could use the option of pulling the engine forward, even if it’s only .2”. And I have one good and one junk OEM mount, so I’ve got to do something.

You did not list the type of car... 73 coup-fastback or convert?   The 73 motor mounts and 73 pedestal-frame brackets are different ..

Since you have your OEM mounts... drill out the rivets old/new [302/351 wrong ones] 351C Torino/Ranchero  and use new engine mount top and your old OEM bottoms and just bolt them back together... it's worked for decades  ;^) 

EDITED, been a long time ago, we used the 351c T&R Mounts to convert them for the cougar/mustang

Edited2, I dug into my files, we used the Torino, Ranchero small block mounts.  Since 73 Cougars/Mustang use the same mount for the left/driver, and right/passenger sider the trick in the Torino's mounts is to use two right/passenger side mounts [it has the four rivets].  The Torino mounts should have excess spacing with the bottom plate so you can shim about 1/16-1/8" one side and about a 1/4" on the other.

number 665 is an OEM C&M mount, the 662 is a T&R right side mount

yes, you can drill out the rivets and change the bottom plates between the cougar/mustang and T&R mounts

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird, I searched Google and never found any information that you posted; I posted this 12 days ago and got silence from the community.  Maybe you’all have jobs and such, us old retired guys have our hobbies 😀.

I didn’t post car info because my profile includes that. If the part I ordered had actually fit to the motor, I would have been able to get better info. It’s worrisome new parts from dependable suppliers have these defects, now so widely know, the supplier doesn’t even have to evaluate it themselves before refunding the purchase. I guess they are hoping some parts might be ok, otherwise, why not dispose of the entire lot?

Thank you the information; maybe that information should be a pined topic, since I search for most of one morning on this forum, and two other Mustang forums, never finding this information or from a Google search (maybe I suck at search 🤷🏼‍♂️).

Steve there is just too much MONEY to be made selling Mustang parts... even 71-73   Info that could affect others ability to make those $$$$ , seems to me to disappear.   I purchased my 73 Cougar new and have gone through many different periods of 'knowledge' lol

For those that will drill and switch bottom plates and want an OEM look [no bolts] AMK sells rivets for the lower A-Arm ball joint replacement...  need to make a tool to cup the rivet top in a press.  cannot remember if we had to shorten them... I think not 

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 5.11.48 AM.png

Most people with 73s simply swap the frame stands for 71-72 sportsroof/coupe parts and use the Anchor 2257 mount, or the Prothane captured mount. 

At the risk of sounding totally lame I have a question. I have a 73 coupe with a 302. I sold my engine along with the engine mounts and will be putting in a 351W. I do not care about stock looking mounts and was going to run a set of energy suspension mounts. Will these not work? Do I have to change stuff to bolt them on?

Thanks and sorry to hijack if this is off topic.

Screenshot_20211112-085229_Chrome.jpg

Those are Prothane 6-503 mounts, which Prothane says fit 68-73. They also say they fit "Winsor" but not Cleveland engines. Clearly, they have no idea what they are selling. 

My best assumption is they will fit with 71-72 hardtop/sportsroof frame stands. If you decide to use them, you can get them for $60 less on Amazon. Send a PM to Motorcity Mustang, he may have the frame stands you need. 

https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-6-503-BL-Black-Motor-Mount/dp/B000NSHQSI

At the risk of sounding totally lame I have a question. I have a 73 coupe with a 302. I sold my engine along with the engine mounts and will be putting in a 351W. I do not care about stock looking mounts and was going to run a set of energy suspension mounts. Will these not work? Do I have to change stuff to bolt them on?

Thanks and sorry to hijack if this is off topic.

View attachment 56286
Hemikiller is correct the fit 71 and 72 frame mounts not 73 frame mounts. You use the on a 73 if you swap the 73 frame mounts for 71- 72 frame mounts.

I swapped mine over to 73 frame mounts and the 73 motor mounts. The 73 Frame mounts are a different height than the 71-72, so if you don't want to be too tall, change the frame mounts too.

kcmash

I believe you will have to trim the tab off the 71-72 frame mounts. I used a saber saw to trim mine.
Trimming the tab off only applies to the 71-72 429 big block frame mount, which is the same frame mount used on 71-72 convertibles. with a small block or the 429ci. This mount very close to the 73 frame mount as well, and will work on a 73 convertible with the 73 style captive motor mounts if you cut the tab off (it will work not on a 73 hardtops because the hardtop small block mounts are completely different between 71-72 & 73).

Back