73 Mustang Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

73SilverSled

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Silver w/Black racing stripes convertible
Hi All - I decided after visiting a few of the stereo shops in the Dallas area to do some research on my own.

2+ yrs ago, I help my sone finish updating a 73 convertible from pretty bad shape to a nice everyday driver for him. We put in a nice Kenwood stereo and 4 front speakers with the wiring for a rear amp+sub.

Now I am ready to surprise him with the amp and sub, but not much seems to make sense to me. What I have determined is that bigger in not better and that either 2x10" or ever 2x8" would be fine.

BOXES: nothing makes sense to me and with the convertible...the fit is the big issue. Has anyone done a 73 convertible before?

Would love to learn from you -

Thanks!

up until 5-6 years a go, I had two 10" subs in the trunk of my convertible, I had 2 boxes, one in each wheel well area, they were out of 5/8" MDF that gave me the sound I was looking for and the space in the trunk for a Spare tire, then amp was mounted next to the Convertible Pump.

unfortunately I don't have any Picture of it, but I can surf the web for examples of what I mean.

another option is maybe two 8" Bazooka Tubes, they get clear very low frequencies and are small.

I hope this helps.

images.jpg

imagesCAI6C0MV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
up until 5-6 years a go, I had two 10" subs in the trunk of my convertible, I had 2 boxes, one in each wheel well area, they were out of 5/8" MDF that gave me the sound I was looking for and the space in the trunk for a Spare tire, then amp was mounted next to the Convertible Pump.

unfortunately I don't have any Picture of it, but I can surf the web for examples of what I mean.

another option is maybe two 8" Bazooka Tubes, they get clear very low frequencies and are small.

I hope this helps.
Thanks! I like the idea and wish I could make his look that clean. we have made the fender wells to have cut ins and it is carpeted all the way out. So that would be a do over but worth considering. I do like the Bazooka idea as well, he probably would not because I'm sure he wants to open it up and show it off a bit......

Here is a pic of the car...

::welcome:: From San Diego.
Thanks!

Hi Silver,

Check out my Tutorial. It may be of help to you.

Greg:)

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-new-sound-sat-nav-system-install
Hi Greg! WOW! Nice job.... very clean indeed. I also love how pure you interrior plastics look. I have to spend a bit more time really studing what you've accomplished for sure...

Couple of initial questions...

1) Did not think it was possible to fit the sub under the conv't top curtain.How is the performance with the top up vs. down? With it touching is there any issue?

2) Do you think it would be worth trying to fit is 2 x10" with the amp in between?

3) Are they low profile boxes, did they limit you sub selection?

Lastly, what do you clean you interior plastic with.... seriously it look showroom new!

Thanks!

Hi Silver,

Check out my Tutorial. It may be of help to you.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-s-new-sound-sat-nav-system-install
Hi Greg! WOW! Nice job.... very clean indeed. I also love how pure you interrior plastics look. I have to spend a bit more time really studing what you've accomplished for sure...

Couple of initial questions...

1) Did not think it was possible to fit the sub under the conv't top curtain.How is the performance with the top up vs. down? With it touching is there any issue?

2) Do you think it would be worth trying to fit is 2 x10" with the amp in between?

3) Are they low profile boxes, did they limit you sub selection?

Lastly, what do you clean you interior plastic with.... seriously it look showroom new!

Thanks!
Hi Silver,

Answer - Q1. Yes it is possible to fit sub under roof lining when down, but sub box has to be custom made to suit correct finished height.With sound peformance, you loose a considerable amount of sound volume and sound quality with the top down. Your sound just evaporates into the atmosphere.Outside traffic noise takes away a lot of sound quality as well. With top up, it sounds awsome! No touching issues as the well liner sits a couple of inches above the sub.

Q2. Yes i do think 2 x 10inch subs will give more bottom end punch than one sub. I will go down this road sometime in the future myself. There is enough room to put your amp in between in the middle.

Q3. No not really in selection. Yes they are fairly low profile boxes.

(See my tutorial and photos on Photobucket)

Q4. Thanks for your compliment on the interior. I do keep it very clean.The seats back and front, are original factory in very top condition.The door cards are new aftermarket from Dash's Direct. My dash plastic is new.Dash pad is original and in top condition.My center console is a new and refurbished mix. Being a pro auto spraypainter, i use 2pak Reducer on the seats ONLY, but if you're a novice i would steer you away from using that sort of thing as you could potentially get yourself into a lot of trouble and maybe ruin the vinyl.

Hope all that helps,

Welcome from West Virginia!

Hi and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

I can't give any advice on the stereo though, because my Edelbrock mufflers are so loud that I can't hear the radio in mine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back