73 Mustang Factory Forged Aluminum Wheels Versus Factory Sport Wheel Covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which looks better, the Forged Aluminum Wheels or the Sports Wheel Covers

• Forged Aluminum Wheels

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • Sports Wheel Covers

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
Where did you get the lugs for the slots?

Where did you get the center cap?

How old is this post...like 2 years? Sure is a lot of life with those alloy wheels.

Nothing wrong with bumping an old post with a question.

I got the center caps from Don at Ohio Mustang from an eBay auction he had going. I think he still has them available on his website.

Where did you get the lugs for the slots?
I researched my receipts and I had found some NOS lug nuts on eBay back in 2006. I paid $52 for a set of 20. I did some research a while back and I believe Gorilla Brand lug nuts are available that are very close to the original length. I think the Gorilla brand was slightly shorter than the NOS ones.

DSCF0800.jpg

The guy that sold me the wheels said this old lug nut was one of the original ones. It looks like it is about 2 1/4 inches long.

2005_0421_215847AA.jpg

2005_0421_214615AA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...those center caps look great. Now that Luxstang is back in Lux, I don't think I would have to lock them up.

That toenail juice probably wore out by now anyway.

How old is this post...like 2 years? Sure is a lot of life with those alloy wheels.
[video=youtube]

That's great cruising music to be driving around showing off my aluminum wheels! :D

2 out of 3 stayin' alive....maybe he should have worn tighter pants...not that I noticed. My wife was looking over my shoulder

To be clearer, I should have said 2 out of the 3 original Bee Gee's are stayin' alive..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 73 conv given to me 8/73 for my 21st birthday present. I would be interested to know where you got the wheels and tires.

I have a 73 conv given to me 8/73 for my 21st birthday present. I would be interested to know where you got the wheels and tires.
Looks like this is your first post here so welcome to the site from Virginia! That's cool you still have your 21st Birthday present! :) Please post up a introduction thread and post some pics of your 73 convertible too!

I bought my factory aluminum wheels off of eBay several years ago. They came with the tires too. They show up for sale on eBay every once in a while and here on this website too. The wheels came with the original center caps, but they were showing their age. I bought reproduction center caps from Ohio Mustang and they look great.

Looks like this is your first post here so welcome to the site from Virginia! That's cool you still have your 21st Birthday present! :) Please post up a introduction thread and post some pics of your 73 convertible too!
I just wanted to point out a quick fact here that I'm already coming to love about this forum:

A) The general helpfulness of everyone, even when correcting someone, it's done with a level of compassion that I don't usually see on the internet

B) This post is a perfect example of this point, here is a post over three years old, that someone revitalized because of a question, and the OP (Granted he's a moderator but still) was still around and able to answer the question!

WRT to original thread, I like the aluminum ones better myself

When I bought my 1973 convertible, the prior owner had put un some 17" craiger knock-offs. They looked OK, but I really really wanted some original 14" aluminum slot wheels. Don at Ohop Mustang had a set that was in pretty decent shape. I ended up spending about 2 hours on each wheel to polish it back to its magnificance!

I will try to edit this post later with before and after pics :)

Wow. What a thread!

I like the slotted mags. The sport wheel covers are unique and I'd suggest you hang onto them but personally, I really never cared for them too much.

The slotted wheels are something that could have been purchased across the dealer parts counter and look excellent on your car.

Ray

When I bought my 1973 convertible, the prior owner had put un some 17" craiger knock-offs. They looked OK, but I really really wanted some original 14" aluminum slot wheels. Don at Ohop Mustang had a set that was in pretty decent shape. I ended up spending about 2 hours on each wheel to polish it back to its magnificance!

I will try to edit this post later with before and after pics :)
Hey now --- Ohop Mustang ???

I think I may have another set if someone is looking

Back