73 Mustang Factory Forged Aluminum Wheels Versus Factory Sport Wheel Covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which looks better, the Forged Aluminum Wheels or the Sports Wheel Covers

• Forged Aluminum Wheels

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • Sports Wheel Covers

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
As many of you know I have owned my 73 Mustang

Convertible since 1974. It came with the Trim Rings

and Hub Caps. In the late 70's I traded for the Sports

Wheel Covers (see first pic of the 73 Mustang

Brochure to compare options). A few weeks ago

I installed a great set of original 1973 factory

Forged Aluminum Wheels and raised letter

tires. I really like the wheels, but I can't get

use to the way the car looks now. I guess

after looking at the Sports Wheel Covers for

over 30 years I'm stuck on them.

Anyway please take a look and vote for the

"LOOK" you like the best! Thanks!

73MustangBrochure1.jpg

DSCF8167.jpg

DSCF8172.jpg

DSCF9276.jpg

DSCF9278.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As Nance said, they both look great. And I, too, like the solid aluminum wheels better than either of the hub cab/cover combinations.

Of course, it's all up to what makes you feel good. And maybe you're looking at the alums as kind of fakes, and the others as more authentic, since they are true hub caps? Just a thought.

I like both, but if it were mine, I'd keep the polished aluminum.

Doc

Aluminum wheels gets my vote.

I wish that I had kept mine but they are currently probably residing on a "Jeepney" on Luzon Island in the Republic of the Philippines. I traded them for a 457:1 gear in a 9 inch Nodular Iron carrier back in 1975 when I went to the Cragar SS.

Oh well....

BT

I voted for the forged aluminum wheels...but in the end, it's what you like!

I think your "can't get used to them" feeling comes from the RWL tires vs. the white-walls. The white-walls give the illusion of larger rims, whereas the RWLs actually make the rims look smaller.

I noticed this on my Mom's '97 T-Bird LX (she had white-walls, and I got her some new tires and mounted one up with the black-wall showing... didn't look right to me, so the white-walls went back out).

Honestly, I like the sport covers... but it's hard to beat "factory slotted mags." Those are some nice wheels ya got there - regardless of which set you're sportin'.

I'm also voting for the aluminum wheels. Just to make sure I was right, I called Dick Herrinian and Ted Britt and they agreed with me. I was going to ask Koons, but there was no answer.

Aluminum wheels gets my vote.

I wish that I had kept mine but they are currently probably residing on a "Jeepney" on Luzon Island in the Republic of the Philippines. I traded them for a 457:1 gear in a 9 inch Nodular Iron carrier back in 1975 when I went to the Cragar SS.

Oh well....

BT
Hey, BT, I think I saw your rims in December 1980 in Olongapo City. They were on a different Jeepney from the one I was riding in with 27 other people and two chickens. It had red dingleberry fringe and Christmas lights all around the roof. I could barely see it through the windshield, with all the plastic statues of the Virgin Mary and crosses glued to the dashboard, plus we were going about 75 miles an hour down a small narrow alley and it was going the other direction at about the same speed.

Good luck finding them, and thanks for the memories. :)

Doc

Thanks for all the votes and comments; looks like the Forged Aluminum Wheels are winning the vote count so far!

The aluminum look "sportier", the sport covers look classy. The aluminum slots seem to be fairly rare as most of us it seems run the magnums.

IMO aluminum slots.
That sums it up just right. The sport covers do give it a classy look!

I like the Aluminum wheels. They were only available in 73. At the time I liked them better than the Magnums on my 72 Mach 1.

I'm also voting for the aluminum wheels. Just to make sure I was right, I called Dick Herrinian and Ted Britt and they agreed with me. I was going to ask Koons, but there was no answer.
The car was bought from Dick Herriman Ford in Vienna, Virginia (now called Kip Killmons Tysons Ford).

Actually my girlfriend at the time bought the car new and I was with her to help make the decision! I bought it from her about 8 months later in 1974. I think she had written those phone numbers down to get comparison prices on some accessories!

I noticed the Dick Herriman phone number on the brochure. That's where my 72 sprint came from.
That's where mine was bought new too! I peeled the sticker off many years ago and saved it, but now I can't find it! Maybe some will show up on eBay! I think there worth an extra point under Mustang Club of America judging rules!

Ya know, I get so focused on the forest that sometimes I don't see the trees. I had to go back and look again, and there they were. I finally got in toudh with Koons, and he, too, agreed that the aluminum wheels were the bomb. Not exactly in those words, but you get the drift. :)

Doc

I like the Aluminum wheels. They were only available in 73. At the time I liked them better than the Magnums on my 72 Mach 1.
Your right, they are unique to the 73-model year. I think the Magnum 500s were available from 69 to 72. It is hard to find the 73 Aluminum Wheels, especially in good shape in a set of four!

Ya know, I get so focused on the forest that sometimes I don't see the trees. I had to go back and look again, and there they were. I finally got in toudh with Koons, and he, too, agreed that the aluminum wheels were the bomb. Not exactly in those words, but you get the drift. :)

Doc
Thanks for following up with Koons, Doc. I was worried that something happened to him!

Back