73 Power Steering Hose to Retrofit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
The 73 saga continues. When I received the 73, it didn’t have and pump mounted or any hoses to the power steering unit. The 87 TBird donor motor uses a different power steering pump and outlet location; the 73 is in the rear and the 87 is in the outboard side. Both are 5/8”-18. I think the 73 outlet is a male fitting while the 87 is a female thread. And chance someone know of a source for a pressure hose that would work? I can do the return lines since I’m going to put a cooler on that (using the proper hose and fittings for that 😀). Thanks, Steve.

The T-bird pump uses an o-ring type fitting, the 73 box will have SAE inverted flares.  11/16-18 for pressure, 5/8-18 for return. I would buy a PS hose for the T-bird and bring it to a hydraulic shop to have the 11/16-18 end installed. For the return stub, you should be able to use a piece of 3/8" line with pre-flared ends, as they most commonly come with the 5/8" line nut. 

One question I didn’t ask, and I tried to find online info and came up with zip; is there any issue with the two different pump’s pressure output and the 73 steering box? Since no one chimed in, I’m assuming it’s not a problem. Thanks, Steve.

One question I didn’t ask, and I tried to find online info and came up with zip; is there any issue with the two different pump’s pressure output and the 73 steering box? Since no one chimed in, I’m assuming it’s not a problem. Thanks, Steve.
I had an 87 T-Bird 5.0L, but I don't remember what kind of pump it had. Did Ford use a GM Style Saginaw pump in 1987? It may look something like one of the ones pictured below. If so, Then the pressure is different than the old Style Ford pump used in the 70s and 60s. In the CPP or Borgeson conversion kits, the pressure in these kits is 1200-1350 PSI with a 2.7-3.5 GPM Flow Rate. I used a CCP power steering conversion kit on the 351C in my 70 Mach 1.

Our cars used the old Bendix style ford P/S pump and they were notorious for low pressure and flow at low RPMs, needed for stop to stop steering, like when parking. I believe in 78 Ford went to the GM style Saginaw pump in their Broncos and 4x4 pickups. I believe these pumps were used in Broncos or f150s with a 351m or 400 with a/c, 1978 or newer have higher pressure and flow rates at low rpms.
I think you can use the newer pump with the old 71-73 Steering Box, but you may need a restrictor to reduce the pressure some. I would check with some of the Ford Bronco and F150 parts sellers (https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/) and forums, they are very knowledgeable on the Ford Saginaw pumps and how to upgrade them. I have attached an old article I found somewhat helpful...

Sorry, I can't be more helpful, but I don't have the technical specifics on what your 87 t-bird setup has extactly.

Attachments

• Saginaw Power Steering Pump Upgrade for 73-79 Ford Trucks.pdf
    133.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 7-19-2019 1-30-00 PM (1).jpg
    7-19-2019 1-30-00 PM (1).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 8
  • SG_79ford_pump.jpg
    SG_79ford_pump.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 8
You know what, I don’t know. I tried to find out by searching Google but came up with zip. Here is a pic of my 87 pump:
image.jpgimage.jpg
I think it is a newer style. My 73 Ranchero had the older style pump and didn’t work well turning the wheel while stopped. It groaned a lot. So the issue maybe, if I do nothing, is that I have a leak at the steering box? I’ll check on the Bronco Forum as the last time I did, they were helpful. Thank you, Steve.

It seems we have forum members who have upgraded to the Saginaw pump without modification with no negative results. I also found a company who sells a relief valve, they market for mustang 2 rack and steering retrofits, to reduce the pressure. I’m including the link to the part. I have no experience with them or this part, buts it’s an option in the event things don’t go well. I’ll keep posting no mater the results, thank you for the responses. Steve

https://www.cvfracing.com/saginaw-p-series-pressure-reducing-valve-800-psi/

It seems we have forum members who have upgraded to the Saginaw pump without modification with no negative results. I also found a company who sells a relief valve, they market for mustang 2 rack and steering retrofits, to reduce the pressure. I’m including the link to the part. I have no experience with them or this part, buts it’s an option in the event things don’t go well. I’ll keep posting no mater the results, thank you for the responses. Steve

https://www.cvfracing.com/saginaw-p-series-pressure-reducing-valve-800-psi/
I saw those pressure reducers. They actually make them for many pressures. I believe that the Saginaw units were used with Saginaw pumps in GM vehicles anyway.

BC4F59D6-F0EF-49F9-BE42-DE2209C493DF.jpeg
Just to end this post with my happy ending; had a local shop make this hose for me. It’s rated to 4k psi, so that won’t be an issue. And, he was nice enough to wrap it in that hyd hose protector. Perfect fit and looks cool too.

Latest posts

Back