73 project (advice wanted)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you're looking for headers for 2V heads, I think Hooker 6921 will work with power steering. Some kind of error early on when the charts and footnotes were made. Maybe someone can confirm this?

I have picked all the parts for my exhaust, I am curious to see your guys' opinion.
the hooker comp headers, with an 18 in collector extension, flowmaster has some pre bent tail pipes (true dual) and they seem convenient, and the flowmaster 40 series dyna flow mufflers.

what do you guys think?

6921 for 2V heads
6915 for 4V heads

I have used the Flowmaster tailpipes on several 71-73s, they fit very well as long as you don't have staggered shocks.

You need to buy 3" reducers to match your pipe size, I prefer the Hooker parts as they are fully welded. 11040HKR are the 3" to 2.5" reducers.

Mufflers are a matter of taste. I like Flowmasters on a Cleveland, but they are too loud for me now. Had the Original 40 2 chamber on a previous 4V headed 4 speed car and loved the sound, but I was in my 20s.

HOOKERCOMP.JPG

Last edited:
I have picked all the parts for my exhaust, I am curious to see your guys' opinion.
the hooker comp headers, with an 18 in collector extension, flowmaster has some pre bent tail pipes (true dual) and they seem convenient, and the flowmaster 40 series dyna flow mufflers.

what do you guys think?
what do you guys think? hooker comp headers, with an 18 in collector extension? Did they recommend the extensions with the pipes. If not, you'll have a fit problem. the mufflers will sound good on there. 40's have a nice low tone. I personally buy cheaper wicked flow straight through mufflers. I like performance and like to avoid the baffling. The ones I use are mainly a perforated straight through pipe with sound deadening packed around it. Same as a glass pack, only they look like mufflers. They do not effect the performance at all. You probably just want the standard long tube header with reducers to the size of the pipe you buy. The problems with the extensions is the pipes usually come out at different angles at the bottom, leaving the collectors to point in odd directions. I thought this was odd with these 351 C Fords since I'm used to seeing the collectors running parallel with one another. I personally could make any of it fit since I make my own out of pipe and pcs of mandrel bends. If you don't have a mig welder and a chop saw handy, buy what fits.

what do you guys think? hooker comp headers, with an 18 in collector extension?

The angle of the header will put the 18" extension into the transmission. He'll need custom bent pipes from the reducers to the mufflers.

Also, on the install. I know it's a pain in the @ss. I have a lift which was a convenience. You will need to put the front wheels on blocks along with pulling the long motor mount bolts to raise the motor 1" It doesn't have to be very high maybe a cpl of 2 X 4's under each wheel. Ramps will be a lil high and will get in your way. I used two old red bricks. All this is mainly to avoid scratching them up.

The angle of the header will put the 18" extension into the transmission. He'll need custom bent pipes from the reducers to the mufflers.
Good point on the extensions! Would it be better to just leave them out?
I don't have the staggered shocks.
I figured if its going to be slow it may as well sound good!

Also, on the install. I know it's a pain in the @ss. I have a lift which was a convenience. You will need to put the front wheels on blocks along with pulling the long motor mount bolts to raise the motor 1" It doesn't have to be very high maybe a cpl of 2 X 4's under each wheel. Ramps will be a lil high and will get in your way. I used two old red bricks. All this is mainly to avoid scratching them up.

Really don't need to lift the motor with the Hooker Comps. You can put the passenger side in from top or bottom, bottom is easier. The driver's side has to go in from the bottom. It takes a little to find the right angle, but it'll go in with the front tires on a set of ramps.

Good point on the extensions! Would it be better to just leave them out?
I don't have the staggered shocks.
I figured if its going to be slow it may as well sound good!

Just make or have an X or H-pipe bent to mate the mufflers to the headers.

Really don't need to lift the motor with the Hooker Comps. You can put the passenger side in from top or bottom, bottom is easier. The driver's side has to go in from the bottom. It takes a little to find the right angle, but it'll go in with the front tires on a set of ramps.

Just make or have an X or H-pipe bent to mate the mufflers to the headers.
bent so that way the extensions would fit?

Back