73 q code vert competition suspension 9” posi rear - how do I tell 31 or 28 spline?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
I am considering swapping the 3.25 posi center section for a 3.73 posi. How do I determine whether it’s a 28 or 31 spline? 73 q code vert competition suspension 9” posi rear

Just a guess, but I'd say it will be a 28 spline. You could pull an axle shaft and count the spline, but a load of work.
OR just wait till you pull the center and order the center accordingly. You'll be pulling the shafts then anyway.
So, just curious, why a 3.73 and not a more gas friendly 3.50. What brand center are you considering? I hear Eaton TruTrac is a good choice.
This is not an area I have any experience other than having my car's center section upgraded to a TracLock, keeping the 3.25 gears in a 28 spline axle. I'm just curious.

Look at the end of the axle with the center wheel hub cap removed or the rear whole wheel off. If the center of the axle has a deep recess that is double "D" shaded it is 28 spline. If machined smooth with a small counter sunk recess at the center it is 31 spline. 3.25 gears came with 28 spline axles from the factory.

Just a guess, but I'd say it will be a 28 spline. You could pull an axle shaft and count the spline, but a load of work.
OR just wait till you pull the center and order the center accordingly. You'll be pulling the shafts then anyway.
So, just curious, why a 3.73 and not a more gas friendly 3.50. What brand center are you considering? I hear Eaton TruTrac is a good choice.
This is not an area I have any experience other than having my car's center section upgraded to a TracLock, keeping the 3.25 gears in a 28 spline axle. I'm just curious.
I at times wish I had 3.73's from my 3:50 trac loc (from the orig 2:75 open) but he prolly wants to get where he's going in a "bigger" hurry! 😂

My understanding is that in 1973 the only cars that came with 31 spline axles were the ones with a 351CJ and 3.50 Trac-Loc differential, everything else was supposed to be 28 spline.

Maybe those in the know could help decipher my axle spline. 71 M code Mach 1 that had a 3.0 gear limited slip originally. Currently has a 3.50 gear.
I'd like to go to a trutrac or similar rear end

Maybe those in the know could help decipher my axle spline. 71 M code Mach 1 that had a 3.0 gear limited slip originally. Currently has a 3.50 gear.
I'd like to go to a trutrac or similar rear end
My "tag book" shows for the 71 351 4v with 3L00 (code O) AUTO trans. tag WFB-D. The "L" indicates limited slip. My M code with 3.25 open IS 28 spline. Check the ends of the axle as Doug describes.

ALSO, there is NO 3.73 listed anywhere. it is either a 3.50:1 or 3.91:1 and they were only in the Boss or HO or 429's (not counting the lesser 3.25 and lower ratios)
Side story:
What does still make me wonder was back in 1980, I bought a 72 351Q code 4 speed, that had had the motor partly replaced with Boss parts. That car would pass anything but a gas pump, get rubber in 4 gears, but back then I knew nothing about codes and tag numbers. I stupidly sold that car in 1991 without knowing exactly what was in it. I do know the motor had been played with, but I wonder if the axle was swapped as well. The guy I bought the car from told me he got the motor from a friend who crashed and totaled his Boss 351. I suspect it had the 3.91 TracLock rear end.

I am considering swapping the 3.25 posi center section for a 3.73 posi. How do I determine whether it’s a 28 or 31 spline? 73 q code vert competition suspension 9” posi rear
If you are replacing the entire third member, I would be interested in the 3.25 28 spline posi third member should you sell it.

I found a virtually new 3rd member 28 spline with a traklock posi for a decent price (he’s asking $725) problem is it has 4.11 gears. Is the teak lock that much better than the trutrak I have, that it pays to buy it and swap to 3.73 gears or should I just swap gears in mine?

If you have a Detroit TrueTrac it is much better than the original Ford TracLok. The TracLok uses clutches for the limited slip that don't have all that long of a life span. TrueTrac uses helical gears that last longer and provide better traction to both wheels.

Back