780 holley replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Rustang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Boss 302 Trans Am ,race car
Hello,I just installed a 429scj intake on my 460 thunder jet and HM reproduction hydraulic cj cam.I don't have a carb yet and I refuse to 1,000$ for a rebuilt,reman,original,ect... 780.So what would be a good replacment for the factory Holley? I am working on making the engine and car as close to a factory BB,4 spd install as possible,fuel hook ups,choke,ect....

The car will be my new daily driver and I mean driven every where ina ll weather accept snow.

Chris

Given you want it close to original in appearance, it is a bit of a chore. You could start with a Holley 3310-C carb, and the secondary metering block 34-13 and primary float bowl 134-108. You will also need fuel bowl inverted flare fittings, primary to secondary fuel line, inlet filter, choke thermostat and gasket, and choke tubes, all of which are available (Holley, classic tube, OMS, NPD etc.). The choke heat tube loop that goes in the intake I believe is also available if you don't have it. Finding and buying any original OEM 780 Holley carbs is time consuming and expensive. You might try looking for a Holley List number 6129. It was made for a car that never made it to production, 1971 Boss 302. Still not cheap but cheaper. Good luck. Chuck

Considering the carb is covered by the cleaner and you are going to drive it daily I would lean towards drivability. Street Avenger is a good choice for this. No need for a double pumper.

Hello all,thank you all for opinions,the holley street avenger 770 looks like it will be the one.It just looks like I will have to buy a different primary bowl that has the fuel inlet on the drivers side and make the fuel transfer tube on the pass side.Just wish it wasn't shiny.

Chris

71Rustang,

I can also suggest the Holley Avenger for this application for its "out of the box" running capabilities.

In my opinion, if you plan on doing additional tuning on the carb, ie jets, metering blocks, etc, I would select another model.

I replaced my Avenger with a 670 Quick Fuel that was equipped already with many features built in, that the avenger did not have and never looked back.

Thanks, Jay

Back