8 Track player dimensions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
My 71 has not had any form of a radio in it as long as I have had the car.

I would like to install a ford 8 track player. It would be retrofitted before the install.  Could someone provide the dimensions of the black face piece on the front of the 8 track player, from top to bottom, left to right, and the center to center dimension of the volume and tuning knobs.

The measurements I have on my bezel opening are. Top to bottom 2 7/16" (this is after removing existing material on a non 8 track bezel)    Left to right  4 1/8'   Center to center on knobs 5 7/8

I have located a couple of Ford 8 track players. The dimension on those are Top to bottom 3", Left to right 4.5", center to center on knobs 5.75"  If this is the correct dimension, the black face plate of the 8 track player would flush up to the back of the bezel, and not sit inside of the opening. Not sure if that is correct.

I don't need to have a mustang radio/8 track with the correct part number. However, I do want the radio/8 track to fit properly.

thanks

The 1971 Mustang AM / 8 Track is a one year thing. The 71 actually says Mustang on the tape door. The bezel in the car can fit all of the available radios. The AM and AM/FM have a smaller opening in the bezel. The AM / 8 Track has the additional 3/8" or so cut out of the top of the opening. I have couple 8 track mustangs. There are stamped Ford part numbers in the radios and AM / 8 Tracks. Can get dimensions tomorrow but numbers on the radio case tell what they were made for. About $100 is good price for a working AM / 8 Track. You will need to do some work for sure.

DSC_1252.JPG

I appreciate the information and look forward to dimensions.  When the radio and player is installed does the black face plate of the radio/player slip into the bezel opening, and sit flush with the face of the bezel?

Or, does the black face plate of the radio/player rest flush with the back side of the bezel?

i am wondering if these 4.5” x 3” face plate players are for a model other than mustang 

The 1971 Mustang AM / 8 Track is a one year thing. The 71 actually says Mustang on the tape door. The bezel in the car can fit all of the available radios. The AM and AM/FM have a smaller opening in the bezel. The AM / 8 Track has the additional 3/8" or so cut out of the top of the opening. I have couple 8 track mustangs. There are stamped Ford part numbers in the radios and AM / 8 Tracks. Can get dimensions tomorrow but numbers on the radio case tell what they were made for. About $100 is good price for a working AM / 8 Track. You will need to do some work for sure.

View attachment 50847
Just throwing this in, i have a AM 8 track from a 73 fastback. Was working when removed many years ago.

View attachment 50847
Do you have a working Am 8 track for sale?

I attached a photo of an AM or AM/FM radio bezel. If you look closely at the middle top of where the radio face goes in, you can see that it has a black metal piece that is inside the chrome outline, If I am not mistaken, you need to cut the black metal that is inside the middle top of the chrome outline. Ford basically outlined it for you. I also attached a photo of a bezel with an AM 8 track radio in it to better illustrate what I mean.

Attachments

• M-18842B.jpg
    M-18842B.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20150503_110012.jpg
    20150503_110012.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
71projectjunk, you are absolutely correct! I just added a Ford AM-FM 8-Track player in my '73 dash, and it fit perfectly, except for the metal faceplate. That black margin at the top was fairly easy to cut out, using a Dremel tool. I used an abrasive circular cutter, then went back in with a flat file to smooth and polish the edges. Incidentally, I bought my 8-Track off E-bay, as a "parts only" unit, and with some cleaning, it works perfectly.

73 Mach-1, I'm changing out my AM radio to an AM/FM 8 track player. How did you wire the speakers. I have the 5 wire plug receptor on the back of the radio but not the attaching plug and wires. Thanks Mark

Stereo equipped cars has door speakers in the lower front of the inner panel. If you go that route, you'll need to make or buy a harness for the speakers, which requires cutting a hole through the door and A-pillar for the wiring boots. @OMS or @Motorcity Mustang may have a used one, or the boots.

Wiring diagram at link below.

https://cdn.imagearchive.com/7173mustangs/images/1971_full.pdf
The OE 8-track had a 2 place and a 3 place rubber wiring connector. If yours is a 5 place, it's not a 71-73 Mustang/Cougar radio and you'll need to figure out what it's from to get the correct pinouts. There is usually a part # stamped on the radio housing.

1673709183743.png

Thanks for the reply and info. The radio is Ford but no part number anywhere on the case. I believe it's from 1974 or newer. I found the matching plug off a 1974 Mustang today at a local junkyard.

I powered it up in the car and connected a speaker to the radio plug and it worked. I'm going to swing by Car Toys and see what connectors they have.

Motor city thanks for the picture. I've that set I pulled from a local mustang junkyard this summer.
Mark

Back