9 inch rearend mounting flange bolt pattern

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

i have my factory rear end thats a 9 inch rearend with 28 spline axles. i however (dont remember right now though) installed 31 spline axles in the housing to compensate for the torque of the 460. i don't remember the details on the axle being biggerand the bearing fitting in the smaller axle tube and etc.

do you guys know what bolt pattern the axle flange is? i can't exactly go to the body shop and start measuring at the moment.

i need to know either way if i go to www.vintagevenom.com cobra brakes or www.wilwood.com brakes. both are requiring the mounting flange.

any help would be appreciated.

i have my factory rear end thats a 9 inch rearend with 28 spline axles. i however (dont remember right now though) installed 31 spline axles in the housing to compensate for the torque of the 460. i don't remember the details on the axle being biggerand the bearing fitting in the smaller axle tube and etc.

do you guys know what bolt pattern the axle flange is? i can't exactly go to the body shop and start measuring at the moment.

i need to know either way if i go to www.vintagevenom.com cobra brakes or www.wilwood.com brakes. both are requiring the mounting flange.

any help would be appreciated.
The housing ends / wheel bearings will be the small bearing.The bearing number for a BCA bearing is an RW 207 CCR.The bigger bearings they are refering to are for the larger Galaxie and Truck 9 in rears.

88025a63.jpg

thats alot of good reads, however i am now concerned how i did the 31 spline conversion almost 10 years ago now. i have my original axle tube with 28 spline. i bought used aftermarket "tom" axles from somebody who had a 73 axles in his 69 mustang that had a 71-73 mustang tube. i was able to slide it right into my tube when i changed my original 3.25 28 spline peg legged pumpkin to a 3.89 31 spline posi traction pumpkin.

when i get the car back its going to be very interesting when i got. i am assuming that i most likely have a set up the same as the Boss 351 with its 3.91 31 spline pumpkin. if its a small bearing as well, its what i got. HELL, I CAN JUST CALL UP THE OLD MAN IN SO-CAL! my dad is a original owner of his lime green boss 351. but my dad is too into bowling and being retired to go to these such forums.

however, i am looking at ebay for the wilwood brakes. for the rear brakes they are asking for mounting bolt pattern which none of those wet sites really state. and something about brake offset gap, it says most of the spacing is 2.5 but some 2.66 is also available as well. I now for a fact now that we got the small axle bearing just gotta figure out that offset gap.

here are the two kits i'm looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WILWOOD-DISC-BRAKE-KIT-COMPLETE-70-73-FORD-MUSTANG-RED-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem336038abc8QQitemZ220657658824QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WILWOOD-DISC-BRAKE-KIT-70-73-FORD-MUSTANG-13-12-BLACK-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aFordQ7cModelQ3aMustangQQhashZitem33639fa663QQitemZ220714739299QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
Back