9in Centre section

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
I was going to spring for a new 3.25 True Trac today until I done the ring around. I had the idea of just buying a whole new centre section pull the old one slip in the new one, do the wheel bearings as well, and the car shouldn't be out of action for more than a weekend. After a few call to known suppliers it looks like I would be up for $2000-2300 for a brand new strange carrier, strange gears, eaton true track in 28 spline. So I asked about a regular lsd centre it came in at $1800 and had an Italian gear set wtf. If I go the true track I can go 31 spline for no extra $$ but then of course its another $650 for strange or moser axles. I suppose I could buy the eaton centre and a gear set and go to work but I don't really want too. could spend the cash for a plug and play 28 spline centre but 2grand is hard to part with, 3grang for a 31 spine set up is harder but if/when I get around to building a motor for it a 31 spline rear makes sense. Prices sure have changed since the last 3.9 detriot centre I brought. So I have decided to invest $50 in beer and invite the thoughts of you learned Gents

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you find a center section at a junk yard, then have a shop rebuild it the way you want? At lease you would save some money, and end up with a turnkey replacement.

good suggestion. I would still be looking at 350-500 for something worth rebuilding + parts on top if you can find 1 at the wreckers. 9in stuff has always been sort after here. would love to pick up a nodular carrier to build finding 1 at an acceptable price is the hard bit.

I got my last 31 spline center off flea bay for $650 rebuilt with Detroit locker and gears of choice last year. I liked the idea of just swapping centers also.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

I got my last 31 spline center off flea bay for $650 rebuilt with Detroit locker and gears of choice last year. I liked the idea of just swapping centers also.

I have picked up a couple in this manner. If I understand, your problem is that it needs to get to you in Australia.

If someone here in the states were to ship one to you what would the import duties be? How much would shipping cost?

I can find 9" center sections with track loc pretty regularly for under $500, that don't need a rebuild.

Nodulars are hit and miss as to availability but they do show up- for instance

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/4514501063.html

Would be great for a dragster-not so good for the street.

or http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/4431630450.html

or

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/pts/4426207437.html

I'm sure if getting one to you from the states was an option that some of us here would be willing to assist

Luke:

You're a cheap bastard. Spend the money and stop whining.

You might contact Currie Enterprises. Among many other things, they have good used cases, carriers, and gears. It might save you some money. Chuck

I have picked up a couple in this manner. If I understand, your problem is that it needs to get to you in Australia.

If someone here in the states were to ship one to you what would the import duties be? How much would shipping cost?

I can find 9" center sections with track loc pretty regularly for under $500, that don't need a rebuild.

Nodulars are hit and miss as to availability but they do show up- for instance

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/4514501063.html

Would be great for a dragster-not so good for the street.

or http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/4431630450.html

or

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/pts/4426207437.html

I'm sure if getting one to you from the states was an option that some of us here would be willing to assist
This is why this place rocks the people here are awesome. Import wouldn't be bad if it was sent as say a gift and the price was listed under $400 AUD. will look at a few other option before I inconvenience anyone here.

Luke:

You're a cheap bastard. Spend the money and stop whining.
Lol.my Money is to hard won not to at least look for a cheaper option.

You might contact Currie Enterprises. Among many other things, they have good used cases, carriers, and gears. It might save you some money. Chuck
Currie is a good option just checked it out. 28 spline nodgy case and Detroit centre with 3.25s Should work out about 300-450 cheaper.

Thanks for that Chuck.

Currie can do a new centre section for $1489 that is with a new 9+ sportsman nodular case 28 spline, true track, new sportsman yoke, and bearing support. So $500 -800 cheaper than the identical centre here in Aus, just waiting on a freight cost then I will call customs to see how much import duty is.

Got a nodular 9 inch, 31 spline, 3.18 polished gears, and a Detroit locker off eBay for like 400 some bucks. Then gots some strange axles for a bit more. Was able to use my military discount. Really great people over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it was in basically perfect condition. I switched yokes and slapped her in my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Concerning 9" center sections.. Are they all the same "dimensionally"? If I took the center section out of a '79 Bronco had it rebuilt, could I use it in my '73 Mach-1?

Concerning 9" center sections.. Are they all the same "dimensionally"? If I took the center section out of a '79 Bronco had it rebuilt, could I use it in my '73 Mach-1?
Not exactly. Mostly they are pretty close, but there are some dimensional variations that may make a drive shaft that is a tight fit, too tight or a loose fit, too loose.

Generally if the sections share the same yoke and pinion carrier style, the dimensional differences won't be a problem.

Not exactly. Mostly they are pretty close, but there are some dimensional variations that may make a drive shaft that is a tight fit, too tight or a loose fit, too loose.

Generally if the sections share the same yoke and pinion carrier style, the dimensional differences won't be a problem.
So, if I'm replacing the driveshaft due to a transmission swap (auto to manual), any 9 inch center section will work?

So, if I have two bare center sections, one could be 28 spline and the other could be 31 splines? Or us it the parts I use (deferential and axles) that dictate the splines?

It is the parts you use. While there are large bearing center sections that you might find, I think they are mostly aftermarket. Ford only made two sizes to my knowledge. Larger bearings are necessary for 35 spline axles and such used for ultra strength applications. A stripped center section doesn't have any parts in it. 28-31 spline set usp is based upon the side gears you use and the "hat" Now the Pinion support carrier will be bearing and pinion size specific. Daytona supports have a larger inner bearing. Some heavy duty set ups use a pinion that is a different diameter.

So what I'm saying is all cases are not the same, but most can be built the way you want, if you make the proper measurements and order the proper parts.

Cazsper All of what Jeff73 says true with one exception being if you want to run a truetrack centre,you can't change the side gears so you need to buy the appropriate spline centre.I have included curries web page not a bad way to research parts and get familiar with some of the terminology.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/categoriesre.aspx?id=945

There has been huge price increases in the last 20 years. I bought a rebuilt open 9" 4 pinion 2.75 ratio from Currie in 1996 for $475 (works perfectly) and I kept my original assembly so that I can rebuild it in the future perhaps with a 3.25 ratio. Currie may still offer rebuilt units like I got for less money than going with all new parts. I know they hoarded many 8" and 9" rear ends.

Good Luck.

Ron

Back