A bit unsure about a Robert Shaw 333-192 t-stat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
I've been looking over the RS thermostat that came in the mail today. It's the correct piece for a 351C - that's the good news - but the recessed section designed to fit inside the restrictor ring is cockeyed:

Quite apparent here:

robertshaw_333_192_1.jpg

Not so apparent here - low side is sitting straight towards the camera, while the high side is directly across. Notice how the flange is deeper at the far side:

robertshaw_333_192_2.jpg

Now I'm stuck with a multiple-choice dilemma:

• Have FlowKooler swap it for another.
  • Tap the ring deeper onto the T-stat - presuming that it's not sitting deep enough, and that it doesn't need to be yanked downwards on the low side. I'm praying that someone here knows this particular answer.
  • Put the damn thing in the car and hope the gauges show that the thing works as intended - risking that I might have to take the assembly out again?

Advice? Opinions? Indifference?

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd try the call, too.

They might just flip you out another one in the mail.

I'd put it in a pot of boiling water and see if it opens correctly, and if it seated straight.
It opens correctly, though my temp gauge showed that it did so at 195 degrees.

The restrictor shutoff remains cockeyed no matter whether the thermostat is closed or open; it's simply a ring press-fit onto the copper shaft (which is in itself hex shaped where the ring is supposed to fit).

-Kurt

Replacement arrived in the mail today (shown at left). Turns out the first one is irrefutably bad (see right) - the ring is supposed to stand up on the shaft:

robertshaw_333_192_3.jpg

robertshaw_333_192_4.jpg

robertshaw_333_192_5.jpg

-Kurt

Um... I returned one 2 weeks ago. They said the 333-180 was in... Sent me the 330-180 for the Windsor. They actually lied and got caught.

Not pleased with them. Customer service is very rude

Um... I returned one 2 weeks ago. They said the 333-180 was in... Sent me the 330-180 for the Windsor. They actually lied and got caught.

Not pleased with them. Customer service is very rude
Not surprised - didn't get the warm fuzzies from them either. Sounds like a two-person, two-bit operation. Still, the only place I've found carrying proper Cleveland T-stats.

I'm going to stick a Delivery Confirmation sticker on this one; just in case they attempt to dispute its return.

-Kurt

I found one in Australia. There is a link under my thread about them. Another member gave me the link. Great customer device just high$$$$

Just got the refund from FlowKooler on the first one; can't rightfully complain.

Cleaned up the 351C in anticipation. Brass restrictor is still there :D

mustang_tstat_lower.jpg

-Kurt

Back