A/C problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123FRANK321

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang conv
I tried to get the A/C charged & Its not going to work. A/C lines are leaking and compressor is leaking. Last week I replaced my heater core. It seems as if I have 3 options.

1 Forget the AC

2 replace original style compressor & have custom lines made for about $400

3 Replace with newer technology A/C system

I have replaced everything in this car about for about $35,000 can't wait to be finished. I've wanted to give up many times but now I can see the end.

My convertible came with factory air. I had it working and then one of the lines touched the header and emptied the system. I took out the compressor and lines, they were always in the way anyways. The convertible made it pointless. Even with the top up as soon as I started moving warm air would get in.

The final straw was when I ditched it as the daily driver. I don't drive it on hot days anymore.

you can get the original compressor and reproduction a/c lines.

you will need a new dryer as well.

Compressor with clutch is 340$

the lines i got from classic air.

http://www.classicautoair.com/FORD_OEM_Parts_Hose.html

dryer is 60$

a retrofit is going to cost over 1000$

trust me #1 is not an option

#3 can be a mess, if you have factory a/c it is better to get it running again.

The lines we got from Classic Air were far from original looking. The sight glass set up (TXV?) is massive with all the brass adapters. We got that set up for our cougar and disliked it so when it was time for the Mach we moved the lines for the cougar onto the Mach and had the original lines redone. Our Cougar is far more original so we were more concerned about it looking right. Fortunately a friend has a really nice and expensive crimping tool and we were able to rebuild the old lines. See if a local AC shop can rebuild the lines. The compressors we got look 100% (ok 99.9%) original. I have to look up where we got them

how long ago did you get the lines from classic air?

i got mine about 6-7 years ago and they matched the old worn hoses my car had originally. i transfered all the original hardware over to the new lines and everything bolt up and matched 100%

interesting,, maybe they changed manufacturers of the hoses since i got mine.

my sight glass housing was different then OEM but it wasn't bigger just a different shape. the brass coupler fit right on the threaded end.

In the last 6 months or so, here is a picture of the line with the sight glass and all the fittings that came with the new line

30b3gif.jpg

Frank,

You can pick up a rebuilt compressor with clutch from advanceautoparts.com for about $200 shipped with coupon.

Drier from rockauto.com are $19

I had my OEM A/C lines rebuilt by local radiator shop for $25 each.

Its better in the long run to update to a scroll compressor with R134A, its not OEM, but it will be easier to get parts and service.

converting a compressor to 134a is simple. change the fittings to 134 from R12, drain the mineral oil as much as you can from the compressor, then refill with 134a compatible oil. most of the rebuilt compressors are shipping with 134 oil inside but you can easily pop the oil fill bolt and turn the compressor over and drain it all out to be sure before install. the york needs 10 ounces of oil if totally drained, but you don't know how much oil is left in an old system, too much oil and it will not cool well, too little and you can blow the compressor and seize it.

usually 8-9 ounces on fill is safe.

when you turn the compressor on during fill of gas if it is vibrating a lot add another .5 - 1 ounce of oil and see if it calms down.

the reproduction Dryer and condenser are already 134 designed and compatible you need to change the dryer anyway.

when they fill 134a into a R12 system they undercharge it slightly. this is because 134 expands more when heated then R12, if you fill 134 to R12 levels the compressor will lock up when heated up after a little while of running.

otherwise R12 does cool better, but the A/C will still get down under 56 degrees from the vent.

you can also stay with R12 it just costs a little more but you can still use and get it if you want.

Back