A/C vacuum canister

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Q-code convertible
Hi guys,

I am looking into the A/C system parts.  Is the black vacuum canister below the charcoal canister on the passenger side a part that you would replace when you are completely rebuilding a system? 

I would like to keep the AC system as original as possible. The shape of the original canister looks slightly different than the aftermarket one from Original Air. 

Is there an easy way to check if it works 100% or needs replacing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

I am looking into the A/C system parts.  Is the black vacuum canister below the charcoal canister on the passenger side a part that you would replace when you are completely rebuilding a system? 

I would like to keep the AC system as original as possible. The shape of the original canister looks slightly different than the aftermarket one from Original Air. 

Is there an easy way to check if it works 100% or needs replacing?
To check it for a leak. Plug the one hole and using a vacuum pump (your average brake bleeder hand pump) pump up the vacuum and see if it holds about 25 lbs on the gauge. Make sure your pump and hoses are not leaking.  More often if you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the A/C vacuum lines, it will be in one of the 3 actuators on the airbox, or the actuator on the water control valve on the heater hose line, or the heat - A/C control selector switch on the dash.

Back