A few interesting factory original components...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
I had the ‘73 Vert. in the driveway yesterday to change out the factory dash installed speaker with an upgraded speaker that provides, almost stereo sound, almost... Don’t want to cut any holes in the factory panels. There are always discussions on the Net regarding how to prove a car is as original as someone claims it to be. For me, a few of the markings and installed components add a lot of credence as to a car’s purported originality. Original paint? Better see evidence of some of the factory applied inspector stamps as seen on my drver’s Door and top of the hood. Additionally, as this car was originally delivered to Canada from Dearborn, an additional label is applied inside the driver’s door indicating acceptances by the Federal Canadians Transport Authority. The factory applied and dated “Utica” label is still evident on the top vert frame.Finally, when is the last time you have seen factory installed fire wall jute in this condition? BTW, the car now has 50,010 miles on her. The only changes from factory; factory style dual exhaust (I still have the original 2V H-pipe) and an AM/FM  cassette (AM radio in storage).

39ECF894-7B01-4A24-880C-44720AA0CC4A.jpeg

1BBBA394-F4A3-4908-9AB6-08BE30EA821A.jpeg

2DE438AF-58C9-4ED4-B5F2-856B3C2B7C24.jpeg

B83E55FC-7549-4E77-9C7A-192611EC6CAC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That jute looks like its new. Mine fell out the dash like a snow shower
My AZ Driven J Code vert jute was crystallized to a pulp when I got the car and started the disassembly for restoration... It had gotton into all my electrical and mechanical components under the dash. A bloody mess of everything... The only issue I had  with this green ‘73 vert was the wet West Coast weather in Victoria, BC where the car spent its first 44 year’s (mostly sitting...) before I brought it to Ontario. I removed the complete under pinning's of the car and replaced/restored everything back to factory appearance. Everything above the uni body was near mint...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is mind-boggling for 46 years old. How does it feel if you give it a little squeeze? Does the new dash speaker actually have two speakers in the space of the original speaker? There wouldn't be much stereo separation but it would no doubt sound better than the original monaural speaker.

That jute looks like its new. Mine fell out the dash like a snow shower
My AZ Driven J Code vert jute was crystallized to a pulp when I got the car and started the disassembly for restoration... It had gotton into all my electrical and mechanical components under the dash. A bloody mess of everything... The only issue I had  with this green ‘73 vert was the wet West Coast weather in Victoria, BC where the car spent its first 44 year’s (mostly sitting...) before I brought it to Ontario. I removed the complete under pinning's of the car and replaced/restored everything back to factory appearance. Everything above the uni body was near mint...
Yeah Arizona weather no good for rubber or cloth but very kind to metal work. I would have liked to see full picture of wrap around as i am going to re-instate jute with black shrink wrap and have no clues as to exactly where and what it exactly wrapped

That is mind-boggling for 46 years old.  How does it feel if you give it a little squeeze?  Does the new dash speaker actually have two speakers in the space of the original speaker?  There wouldn't be much stereo separation but it would no doubt sound better than the original monaural speaker.
Don’t squeeze the charmon... Still feels good, not falling apart. Unlike hot weather areas ie AZ, the climate in Victoria BC would assist in its longevity, I think... Stereo? Yes, a pun of sorts, but the dash speaker is the upgraded version with the dualcone set up and provides some bass. A definite upgrade over factory. Funny thing is that my J Code vert came from the factory with the AM/FM Stereo upgrade and I reinstalled the factory speakers in the door’s and it sounds great. Ford did a good job with that option back in the day and it wasn’t a cheap one for the consumer...

That is mind-boggling for 46 years old.  How does it feel if you give it a little squeeze?  Does the new dash speaker actually have two speakers in the space of the original speaker?  There wouldn't be much stereo separation but it would no doubt sound better than the original monaural speaker.
Don’t squeeze the charmon... Still feels good, not falling apart. Unlike hot weather areas ie AZ, the climate in Victoria BC would assist in its longevity, I think... Stereo? Yes, a pun of sorts, but the dash speaker is the upgraded version with the dualcone set up and provides some bass. A definite upgrade over factory. Funny thing is that my J Code vert came from the factory with the AM/FM Stereo upgrade and I reinstalled the factory speakers in the door’s and it sounds great. Ford did a good job with that option back in the day and it wasn’t a cheap one for the consumer...
I set you up for that one.  I was wondering if you guys had that commercial up in Canada.  hehe  Yes I agree with Ford factory sound systems back in the day.  In the late 70's one of my friends drove his dad's '73 Mercury Montego and the factory AM/FM stereo sounded great.  I also recall that the Ford A/C was excellent as well.  His dad performed almost no maintenance on that car, and of course my friend beat the crap out of it (351C-2V).

Back