A good read on motor oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, I have been reading 540-RATs blog for a number of years. I went with his current king of the film strength oil when I refreshed my 351C & added a Lunati solid lifter cam & followers. At the time, 4 years ago, top for wear protection was Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30. I'm pleased to say that 4 years later it's still fine. Never had mineral oil in it.

I have mix feelings reading this blog. I have not gone through it since he spends way too much time bashing whoever doesn't believe him. As an engineer I know that typically one person is not always correct. This guy writes in a way that turns me off. He brags too much for my taste. I am not saying he may not have some good points. All I am saying that he should write about his test results and opinions, and stop using cap letters and bashing others.

I have not seen any bashing in this writing, only a clear stance on the fact that unless someone has a scientific data to prove that Zinc improves ware protection, they have no room to refute his testing or argue otherwise.

As well as the fact that oil companies are uauly have false advertising and one should not take it as data untill it is proven via testing by 3rd party.

I have not seen any bashing in this writing, only a clear stance on the fact that unless someone has a scientific data to prove that Zinc improves ware protection, they have no room to refute his testing or argue otherwise.

As well as the fact that oil companies are uauly have false advertising and one should not take it as data untill it is proven via testing by 3rd party.
I by no means I am an expert in this topic. I, as many in this forum, like to read from different sources and opinions before reaching my own. I am an engineer and researcher as well, and I don't rely on one source only. By no means I am saying he is not correct. But, by many means, I do question someone with such an aggressive writing style. Some people may enjoy and be convinced by such a writing style, but some others don't like such style.
You have to read though many paragraphs of him crediting himself and/or being credited by individuals. In my opinion he bashes his critics. Per example, just at the beginning of his blog he states:
"Those critics have tried to discredit my Engineering test data, but they have failed miserably, as you can see from the continual amazing growth and success of this Blog. They think they know more than what Science proves to us. Who do you think will win an argument against Science? Those critics are ignorant of the FACTS, and instead they make emotional outbursts, relying on false beliefs and opinion, to try and redirect people’s understanding about motor oil. But, all their failed efforts show just how wrong they are, and intelligent people simply ignore them. It is the critics’ loss, because they continue to believe and follow bad information, while the rest of us make use of, and benefit from, the FACTS. So, I have a question for those critics, “What have they ever written about motor oil that has been READ NEARLY ONE MILLION TIMES?“"

Again, I am not trying to discredit or credit anyone. I am just bringing up different opinions out there that I have read, before reaching my own. This is a link to another blog that discusses this topic with more scientific detail.
http://xtremerevolution.net/exposting-the-flaws-in-540rats-engineering-test-data-blog/http://xtremerevolution.net/exposing-the-flaws-in-540rats-rebuttal/
At the end of the day we don't know any of these bloggers so it is up to us to try to be as informed as possible. I personally have used Mobil 1 for many years. I have contemplated switching to Amsoil oil many times but I haven't. I have also contemplated switching to Driven GP-1 oil but I haven't. There are many ways to skin a cat. There are many opinions out there. So it is very difficult to really know which one is best.

PS: I don't necessarily disagree on the conclusion about Zinc, but I think this is a more complex issue since it is a combination of many additives that work in concert rather than just Zinc. I agree that oil companies will say whatever for marketing and that's all of them.

I by no means I am an expert in this topic. I, as many in this forum, like to read from different sources and opinions before reaching my own. I am an engineer and researcher as well, and I don't rely on one source only. By no means I am saying he is not correct. But, by many means, I do question someone with such an aggressive writing style. Some people may enjoy and be convinced by such a writing style, but some others don't like such style.
You have to read though many paragraphs of him crediting himself and/or being credited by individuals. In my opinion he bashes his critics. Per example, just at the beginning of his blog he states:
"Those critics have tried to discredit my Engineering test data, but they have failed miserably, as you can see from the continual amazing growth and success of this Blog. They think they know more than what Science proves to us. Who do you think will win an argument against Science? Those critics are ignorant of the FACTS, and instead they make emotional outbursts, relying on false beliefs and opinion, to try and redirect people’s understanding about motor oil. But, all their failed efforts show just how wrong they are, and intelligent people simply ignore them. It is the critics’ loss, because they continue to believe and follow bad information, while the rest of us make use of, and benefit from, the FACTS. So, I have a question for those critics, “What have they ever written about motor oil that has been READ NEARLY ONE MILLION TIMES?“"

Again, I am not trying to discredit or credit anyone. I am just bringing up different opinions out there that I have read, before reaching my own. This is a link to another blog that discusses this topic with more scientific detail.
http://xtremerevolution.net/exposting-the-flaws-in-540rats-engineering-test-data-blog/http://xtremerevolution.net/exposing-the-flaws-in-540rats-rebuttal/
At the end of the day we don't know any of these bloggers so it is up to us to try to be as informed as possible. I personally have used Mobil 1 for many years. I have contemplated switching to Amsoil oil many times but I haven't. I have also contemplated switching to Driven GP-1 oil but I haven't. There are many ways to skin a cat. There are many opinions out there. So it is very difficult to really know which one is best.

PS: I don't necessarily disagree on the conclusion about Zinc, but I think this is a more complex issue since it is a combination of many additives that work in concert rather than just Zinc. I agree that oil companies will say whatever for marketing and that's all of them.

Very much so agree with your last paragraph (and yes, he is talking himself up) - it is combination of all additives and moli blends that defind oil performance.

QS 5w30 does have higher then normal zinc, 900 and good amount of fosforus 740 while performs significantly better in ware protection then their QS Defy 10w30 with 1200 zinc *marketed for old flat tapped engines. Defiy has seal swell to minimize leaks though.

I don’t pretend to know ‘Jack’ about oil brand claims, weight preferences, zinc content, or blog opinions. My owners manual said to use Ford 10W30 or 10W40 depending on climate. I used Ford 10W40. My original motor went 170,000 miles before it’s first rebuild. Now I’m at 235,000. Changed the Ford oil filter every 3000 miles with the oil change. I’m ok with what Ford engineers specified...

Very long and interesting read. Do other members believe the claims that we should all use only Quaker State 5W30 full synthetic and nothing else in our cars and chuck ZDP entirely? The research sounds legit.
I have been reading him for years, I've dumped the 0w20 in the wife's Mitsubishi after writing to him. All my chariots get his recomeded QSFS 5w30. I've read his testing methods, discussed his findings with some old timers that have been building since flatheads were new and they all pretty much agree. Glad to see Rat getting some reads 👍

So back to the question of using Lucas again. Check out this video

I'd like to see a comparison of the QSFS 5W30 with the Amazon brand. I used to use 20W50 Castrol with some Lucas (but not 20%) almost exclusively in my old Mustangs. It doesn't get too cold here in Alabama but it gets real hot in the summer. I love the higher oil pressure I get with the 20W50. I rarely drive my cars that hard so it all probably doesn't matter much anyway. It seems the mix of the Lucas and the FS 5W30 would probably give me the best of both worlds, good oil pressure and good engine protection. However, those yearly oil changes on the cars I rarely drive are going to be quite expensive! What do you guys think?

So back to the question of using Lucas again. Check out this video

I'd like to see a comparison of the QSFS 5W30 with the Amazon brand. I used to use 20W50 Castrol with some Lucas (but not 20%) almost exclusively in my old Mustangs. It doesn't get too cold here in Alabama but it gets real hot in the summer. I love the higher oil pressure I get with the 20W50. I rarely drive my cars that hard so it all probably doesn't matter much anyway. It seems the mix of the Lucas and the FS 5W30 would probably give me the best of both worlds, good oil pressure and good engine protection. However, those yearly oil changes on the cars I rarely drive are going to be quite expensive! What do you guys think?

If Lucas extends oil life, why would you change oil once a year instead of every other year?

I will treat my car to Cerma treatment like I do with my others.

If Lucas extends oil life, why would you change oil once a year instead of every other year?

I will treat my car to Cerma treatment like I do with my others.
I had never heard of Cerma. I read about it on their site. It all sounds good, and I'll probably try it, but I wish someone would do the kind of stress wear test that the guy did for Lucas. The decreased galling and wear with the Lucas was impressive!

Discussions like this remind me of why I enjoyed Aircraft Maintenence more than racing engines. The automotive hobby can often be froth with "opinions", defended agressively, kinda like politics in many ways. Aircraft however, can only be serviced with the approved ( by the factory ), components and lubricants, so opinions are of no use. The factory has done all the testing, and shoulders the liability, so they don't take chances.
I work with an engine builder, whose got many years of experience, he once told me he'd never willingly use clevite bearings, he had a failure years ago and decided Clevite bearings are crappy. I still respect him, simply don't share his opinion. Too many other variables. The automotive game can often be like toothpaste and shaving cream....everyone has their favorite. One of my drag boats was sponsored by Valvoline Oil and Champion Spark Plugs in the sixties. It dominated it's class and set the world record 5 times. I've had other engine guys say they'd never run Champions. I guess the 5 world records came by a fluke. Other opinions notwithstanding, why would I over-think what worked? It worked for them, for that vehicle, I'm using what worked.

Last edited:
I had never heard of Cerma. I read about it on their site. It all sounds good, and I'll probably try it, but I wish someone would do the kind of stress wear test that the guy did for Lucas. The decreased galling and wear with the Lucas was impressive!
You can do your tests by sending oil to Blackstone Labs (on daily car).
I used to do testing on two of my cars I beat on, 3 years in the row. One vehicle runs in boost alot and under higher operating tems, the other exeds factory redline by 800rpms.

Oil x, oil x plus Cerma, oil x. Less iron and soft metals when compering 1st and 3rd.

You can do your tests by sending oil to Blackstone Labs (on daily car).
I used to do testing on two of my cars I beat on, 3 years in the row. One vehicle runs in boost alot and under higher operating tems, the other exeds factory redline by 800rpms.

Oil x, oil x plus Cerma, oil x. Less iron and soft metals when compering 1st and 3rd.
A little hard to understand YellowHorse, but are you saying that Cerma plus oil had less iron and soft metals in it was tested, i.e. less wear? Thanks. Kevin.

A little hard to understand YellowHorse, but are you saying that Cerma plus oil had less iron and soft metals in it was tested, i.e. less wear? Thanks. Kevin.
Yes, I tested it in my 3.8 Genesis coupe which is is tuned to rev way into the red, 7,300rpms. Car has a bit low oil capacity for hight revs.
Was running old version if QS and after Cerma, tests had less metals.

Back