A question about wiring the seatbelt light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSchofield

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
Hello guys, I have been trying to figure something out on my own but not sure I have found a good answer. My 72Mach has the seat belt warning light but not wired up. The wires were removed long ago and I'm fine with that. What I would like to do is to wire it up to illuminate for about 10 seconds and then shut off. I just am not positive on what to buy. My thought was have something wired to receive 12v once ignition goes into the ON position, light the warning light for about 10 seconds and then cut the power to the light until the next time the ignition is turned over. I have seen delay switches on the internet but I don't believe that is what I need because I don't want a delay in the light turning on. If anyone could point me in the right direction for what I need (a link to the part I need would be terrific) I really would appreciate it.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I thought of wiring a 10 sec capacitor up to the starter side of things and then to the seatbelt flasher. Does any body think that would work?

Is there a seat belt light on a 1972 Mustang coupe?

I have used delay relays also, to keep the electric cooling fans running for a few minutes after turning off the engine(if they were on when I was about to shut off the engine. The variable temp thermostat was set to turn on fan relays when coolant in the upper radiator how hit 200 degrees F. As soon as the temp drops below 200 the relays paused for a few seconds (variable delay on my relay) before turning off. It works great. Just be sure to get a delay relay with the ampere rating you need. For me, I run both fans off a single relay rated for 30 amps, and set the relay delay timer for 20 to 30 seconds. Works like a charm.

The deluxe seat belt option on '71 and '72 Mustangs built before 12/1/71 includes a round "BELTS" warning lamp on the driver-side lower dashboard. The light was not a stand-alone option and was only available with the Deluxe Seat Belts. When listing standard equipment, Ford does state that the Deluxe belt belts with the warning lamp were standard on the convertibles.
The passenger side seat belt light/buzzer didn't enter production until 12/1/71, so the early '72s did not have the Government mandated lamp. Along with a buzzer everyone hated, the lamp was a Jan '72 Federal requirement for all body styles, along with several other safety and emissions-related items. Our Government was pretty busy protecting us from ourselves while spending our money!! :)

Hello guys, I have been trying to figure something out on my own but not sure I have found a good answer. My 72Mach has the seat belt warning light but not wired up. The wires were removed long ago and I'm fine with that. What I would like to do is to wire it up to illuminate for about 10 seconds and then shut off. I just am not positive on what to buy. My thought was have something wired to receive 12v once ignition goes into the ON position, light the warning light for about 10 seconds and then cut the power to the light until the next time the ignition is turned over. I have seen delay switches on the internet but I don't believe that is what I need because I don't want a delay in the light turning on. If anyone could point me in the right direction for what I need (a link to the part I need would be terrific) I really would appreciate it.
I used a VW 9 pin Multifunction chime/relay on my 1970 Mustang. It has a slow and a fast chime sound, and a 10 second time delay chime. It has both positive and negative ground triggered. It can be setup with Door open, Key In, Lights on, and seat belt chime reminders. I found a Hella mounting base for it with the same blade configuration. The VW Part number is 1HM-919-433-A and the 9 pin mounting base is Hella HL87123.

11-16-2017 9-27-37 PM.jpg

Back