A quick feel good acknowledgment…..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
B1
It’s the small victories!

My B1 has been plagued with a slow reading tach since I “reaquired” it last year. As I sort the car out, I’m able to overlook a lot of imperfections…. But not one that glares at me every time I’m in the car! Full well knowing it wasn’t that way before.
After inquiring about my tach situation at my local resto shops and getting the reply from them that….” oh we can fix that, we need to remove the tach and send it in for some wiring alteration…….” UGH!! It appeared to me to be snowballing, and who could guess the time or cost of this “repair”. The last thing I wanted to do was rip it out, send it away … and hope it comes back “ fixed”.
Not satisfied with this solution I continued searching posts on 7173mustangs. Found a suitable hit here from the experts on these cars.
Turns out the tach reads a measured signal from the coil, with a designed resistance adjusted to display correct RPM on the gauge……VOILA!! Also turns out a previous owners attempt to restore my car included switching the carb from a 4150, no choke model to a 4160 electric choke version. They powered the electric choke from the red wire at the solenoid, leaving an unsightly black wire with one of those cheesy blue plastic snap closed wire splices running to from the solenoid over the valve cover to the choke housing. After reading the post I started the car, confirmed the tach was still reading slow, and got out and disconnected the the + choke wire. Rechecked the tach, and IT WORKED!!!! back to normal function now, AND as a bonus I removed that ugly wire in the process. To say I was excited would be a HUGE understatement!

This is a big caffeine infused shout out to all the usual electrical gurus who post on this site….. THANK YOU!!

Those blue plastic wire taps cut through the wire insulation to contact the copper wire. I hate seeing those things. I would put a thin coat of RTV where the tap was to keep water out of the spot so the copper doesn't corrode.

That's awesome! It's fantastic when the solution is simple (even if getting to that point took a lot of research). And think of how much other stuff you've learned in the process.

Thanks to you craftsmen and experts, I am able to do the swap I always wanted to try. Thank you again for answering sometimes dumb questions. I appreciate this group.

Back