AC and idlers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins56

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Fastback now with 503 CID 4 bolt block with AFR Bullit heads , Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake and ProSystems carburettor 1050.
4 sp Toploader with 9" Wavetrac rear.
Caltracs and shocks at the rear.
I have bought almost all components to install original AC to my 429.

AC is a remanufactured Four seasons / york from Classic Autoair.

When I had all gear installed and started checking the alignment I noticed that the compressor wheel is ab. 7 mm forwards out of the outer face of the line from the crack pulley face and the fixed idler face which are in line.

Question: are there different AC clutches in depth.

The seller told me that this is the compressor / clutch for my 429 when I asked it before buying it.

I have seen different looking clutches for sale in eBay.....

I see now two alternatives how to proceed:

1. machine new holes for the AC bracket that let the compressor to be moved 7 mm backwards 2. change the AC clutch to a narrower model if any...

I also noticed that the belt recommended for the original assembly = 1397 mm is way too short for this set up.

Comments please - what went wrong ?

AC compressor.jpg

AC and idler alignment.jpg

Two things. One a note of Caution. Some of the bolt holes on the compressor are shallower than others. Test fit your bolts before tightening. Second, I have that silver clutch assembly off my compressor if you would like certain dimensions.

your clutch is wrong . . the one eddyw shows is correct.

this makes no sense, those guys know exactly what part is correct for every year.

Two things. One a note of Caution. Some of the bolt holes on the compressor are shallower than others. Test fit your bolts before tightening. Second, I have that silver clutch assembly off my compressor if you would like certain dimensions.
Thanks Eddy,

yes it seems that the clutch in my compressor is wrong - it is too thick and the diameter is too big compared to yours which makes the original belt too short.

Your engine compartment looks connoisseurs level = very detailed - congratulations ! I presume your engine is 429 ?

your clutch is wrong . . the one eddyw shows is correct.

this makes no sense, those guys know exactly what part is correct for every year.
Hi,

thanks for your comment .

yes - I have to contact the seller - which is actually Jensen Autoparts- not Classic Auto Air as I remembered - it was two years ago, as I am just now completing my project.

It seems I need another clutch.

Is there any code for that as it seems there are many clutches available and most of them fit but are not ment to mach 1 installation....

Any advise ?

Thanks Judge !

Bolts are OK ;)

If you have any data that I need to buy a new clutch ( or change the old one) I would appreciate that !

As there was not the original AC installed in my car I did not knew how it looked and it is really difficult to judge the clutch by looks only what is the correct one - the clutches look quite similar .

Is the clutch you have used in all 71-72 302,352 and 429 models or does it change by the engine ?

I will appreciate all help I can get to get it right now !

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally nice in line up...

is it the right clutch on the AC pump?

see photo's.
One more thing Eddy - not to make things too easy.

here is a photo of a 429 with AC - looks different than yours....

I also enclose a photo of the adjustable idle pulley bracket.

It differs from the one usually seen that the wheel is attached with a bolt - otherwise looks identical to the standard one.

Screen Shot 2015-02-16 at 4.11.10 PM.png

idle pulley copy.jpg

Hi Eddy,

I got a photo from the Classic Auto Air - this is the correct clutch for a 429 AC compressor.

The one I got is for a 69-70 302 and 351 engines.

I show this photo if there is someone else looking for this information.
This is how the 429 AC installation should look like. Not ready yet but checked the belt line and now the original 429 AC fits. The clutch code in my case is D0VA 2981 A

429AC copy.jpg

Back