adding brake booster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71fastback

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportsroof.
I have manual front disk brakes on my 71 and I was thinking about adding a brake booster. Has anyone ever done this before? Is it as easy as buying a new master cylinder and brake booster combo?

no you need a different pedal assembly for the brake when using automatic brakes. you also need a different proportioning valve.

i know I'm missing something else. the brake lines would need to be reworked, the new booster should come with the adjustable shaft and seals, you will need a brake vacuum booster one way valve, you may need to find a correct firewall rubber boot seal for the booster, but i know I'm forgetting something else you need.

I recently posted that I wanted to do the opposite and convert to manual brakes, maybe we can swap my power brake setup to your manual brake.
If I do eventually make the change, it will be awhile down the road. I have a few other projects that need to come first.

he has a wild cam and so his engine makes very little vacuum to drive accessories like the brake booster

a vacuum assist should be the next thing you'd be ordering from summit. i think there is even electrical ones!

Back