Adjusting the trunk lid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
How do you adjust the trunk lid on a 71 Mach1? The left side seems to be sitting a little higher than the right side.

Also, does everyone's Antenna stick out to the side instead of straight up and down? I think a minor tweak to the base of the antenna rod may be in short order! LOL

I am not personally aware of any "adjustment" to the deck lid - - sounds like "something" may be uneven, especially if there are no problems with the hinges or the rubber around the trunk. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a suggestion:).

As to the antenna, I have seen some where they are sitting to the side but that is not "natural", to say the least. Sounds like an adjustment is in order. It also appears you are getting into "Spice" or is it "Sugar?"

BT

Everything attached to the trunk deck seems straight. I'll have to get a good look today after work.

The Mach1 is Spice...LOL! The Coupe is Sugar. I think Sugar will have more attitude than Spice after it's all said and done! Haha...:D

Actually, while looking at some other Mach1's, I noticed tat their antennas are on the right front fender. This one is on the left rear?? Is that normal?

Yeah, I think it was moved but it looks kind of cool! Reminds me of some of the other period muscle cars that had them on the back quarter!

I agree with '72...leave it on there if it is working and you like it that way. In fact, when I received my MACH I (Export Only), the antenna was not even installed.

I thought about putting it on the rear passenger side but went with the flow. As I think about it now, I may change it during the pending "repaint."

See what you started Barry:)!

BT

The trunk lids came from the factory missaligned! Actually, it is the quarter panels that are not even. The body shop was able to improve upon the alignment on my 73 Convert, but it is still off some.

I've seen some pics of export 71 to 73 stangs with the antenna on the rear fender, but the US versions should be the right front fender.

Before:

DSCF4373.jpg

DSCF4312.jpg

After:

DSCF8183.jpg

DSCF8184.jpg

The missalignment was most noticable in the body where the seam is between the quarter panel and body:

DSCF8190.jpg

There is some adjustment if you lossen the two bolts on the hinge arms:

DSCF8188.jpg

DSCF8167.jpg

Thanks for the info! Mine seems to sit a little high on the driver's side. I'll have to take a look at teh hinge arms and see what I can do. It's not horrible but it is noticeable with the mach stripes!

Here is a pic of it...

100_3604_small.jpg

I agree with '72...leave it on there if it is working and you like it that way. In fact, when I received my MACH I (Export Only), the antenna was not even installed.

I thought about putting it on the rear passenger side but went with the flow. As I think about it now, I may change it during the pending "repaint."

See what you started Barry:)!

BT
The only time you will see an antenna mounted in the rear is when the car was delivered without radio option and at the the owner's discretuion could hve it mounted in the rear.

I would bet that if you see a rear antenna car, it's Marti report would not show the radio option.

I do like it! We bent the rod at the base a little to make the aerial straight, now it looks pretty sweet!

I am not personally aware of any "adjustment" to the deck lid - - sounds like "something" may be uneven, especially if there are no problems with the hinges or the rubber around the trunk. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a suggestion:).

As to the antenna, I have seen some where they are sitting to the side but that is not "natural", to say the least. Sounds like an adjustment is in order. It also appears you are getting into "Spice" or is it "Sugar?"

BT
I worked dealer prep in the early 70's. Antennas where dealer installed.

a template came for set-up on drilling the hole it came with a hole saw bit for every car. not2old

Back